Page 30 of 375 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Thanks very much. I have a winder, so it's not a really big deal to do that. But it's not the greatest winder on the market, it's one of those Sharper Image ones that were on sale a while back.

I hear you on the DST changes. I do have a Citizen chronograph, and it's real fun twice a year to reset it. When I travel, I usually just wear a solar atomic G-Shock. It takes about 5 seconds to change.

Hmm, I may do some more digging on the SCUBA boards, and see if I can get some more reviews. That Citizen diver your wife has is nice, it's had excellent feedback. My old eyes like the big numbers, too.

Thanks again for the help, I do appreciate it!

Bulova Precisionist 98B142

The GF surprised the hell out of me with a new watch for Christmas. I was following her around JCPennys (Lord give me strength...) when we walked past the jewelry area and I stopped to look at the watches. I pointed this one out in passing cause I thought it looked cool. I thought she was ignoring me at the time ...turns out she wasn't.

Anywho...I like this one a lot, the smooth sweep of the second hand lives up to their advertising and I like the carbon-fiber dial. Only downside is that the lume isn't as bright as my Seiko.
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Bulova Precisionist 98B142

The GF surprised the hell out of me with a new watch for Christmas. I was following her around JCPennys (Lord give me strength...) when we walked past the jewelry area and I stopped to look at the watches. I pointed this one out in passing cause I thought it looked cool. I thought she was ignoring me at the time ...turns out she wasn't.

Anywho...I like this one a lot, the smooth sweep of the second hand lives up to their advertising and I like the carbon-fiber dial. Only downside is that the lume isn't as bright as my Seiko.
    very nice precisionist. i agree the lume isnt very bright but the smooth sweep is cool. i dont think it keeps time to their advertised standard either.

Bulova luminous dial

Quote Originally Posted by turbolag23 View Post
    very nice precisionist. i agree the lume isnt very bright but the smooth sweep is cool. i dont think it keeps time to their advertised standard either.
    I have the same Bulova watch. The hands are coated in luminous paint, similar to what is used on HK pistol sights. Try charging them by shining a flashlight at the watch. They are pretty bright then. Citizen uses the same system on some of their watches.

Quote Originally Posted by msmith46 View Post
    I have the same Bulova watch. The hands are coated in luminous paint, similar to what is used on HK pistol sights. Try charging them by shining a flashlight at the watch. They are pretty bright then. Citizen uses the same system on some of their watches.
    That was one of the first things I did...They just don't get as bright or "hold the charge" as well as my seiko.

Here's a pic immediately after a 10-second charge (seiko on the right). After about one minute, the Bulova wasn't bright enough to show up on my phone camera. Oh well, I still like it...
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

That's the difference between luminous paint and Super-LumiNova.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Nothing special, but I've wanted a Suunto Core for awhile, and finally made that happen. Same thing with the PPQ. Good Christmas

I have a Core, and like it a good bit. It always gets a lot of compliments from women, for some reason.

You may want to look into turning up the contrast on the display, that is a frequent complaint. If it's bright enough for you, rock on. But I have old and battered eyeballs, and it was a big help to me. The Suunto forums have the directions on how to do it, I don't think it's in the inch-thick manual you got.

Nice pistol, too! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a Core, and like it a good bit. It always gets a lot of compliments from women, for some reason.

You may want to look into turning up the contrast on the display, that is a frequent complaint. If it's bright enough for you, rock on. But I have old and battered eyeballs, and it was a big help to me. The Suunto forums have the directions on how to do it, I don't think it's in the inch-thick manual you got.

Nice pistol, too! Congrats!
    Thanks...Appreciate it. Somewhere here on the forum someone posted a link to the instructions to bump up the contrast...I bumped it up a couple of notches and that did help. I have been wearing a negative display G-Shock for a couple of years now so I'm sort of used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    Thanks...Appreciate it. Somewhere here on the forum someone posted a link to the instructions to bump up the contrast...I bumped it up a couple of notches and that did help. I have been wearing a negative display G-Shock for a couple of years now so I'm sort of used to it.
    I like those negative G-Shocks! I have been thinking about snagging one of those as well.

It's really hard to beat a solar atomic G-Shock for an inexpensive but tough watch.

User Tag List