Page 179 of 372 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229279 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 3720

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I've been pretty agnostic when it comes to quartz vs. mechanical. That said, I have come to appreciate the fact that unless something goes very wrong, a decent mechanical watch won't just stop all of a sudden, unlike quartz watches in my experience tend to do. (I've had batteries die prematurely, a solar powered watch that "keeps working up to 6 months in total darkness" stopped within a month or two after long shirt sleeve weather started, etc.) The fact that the watch keeps ticking is a bigger priority to me than absolute accuracy. A watch that shows me it died at 10:34 does me no good, whereas if I know my watch is 6.5s fast per 24h, and I know how and when I last set it, I can figure out the correct time to the second if I really need to. Which, thus far, I haven't needed to. It's more important for me to keep track of the time in a more general sense - whether I'm a minute off is less important than knowing the approximate time.

Plus, in my personal opinion that F-91W would look real dorky on a grown man's wrist. Life's too short for an ugly watch...
    OK I'm gonna level with y'all, the "mechanical watches are irrational" troll was a response to @BobLoblaw misinterpreting something I said (a handful of posts after I said I owned a Rolex, no less). I had this whole gag planned out. But work picked up and I didn't have the time to carry it through.

On the real real, other than the Rolex I own a couple other mechanical watches (and some quartz beaters). I get why mechanical watches are cool.

I'm trying to figure out another nice sport watch that isn't quite as loud as a two-tone Submariner. I've had my eye on an Omega Aqua Terra for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    OK I'm gonna level with y'all, the "mechanical watches are irrational" troll was a response to @BobLoblaw misinterpreting something I said (a handful of posts after I said I owned a Rolex, no less). I had this whole gag planned out. But work picked up and I didn't have the time to carry it through.

On the real real, other than the Rolex I own a couple other mechanical watches (and some quartz beaters). I get why mechanical watches are cool.

I'm trying to figure out another nice sport watch that isn't quite as loud as a two-tone Submariner. I've had my eye on an Omega Aqua Terra for a while.
    Rolex Explorer, the invisible Rolex and a great daily wear watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Depmur View Post
    Rolex Explorer, the invisible Rolex and a great daily wear watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I, too am a big Explorer I fan. I also like the Airking but the numerals at the 5-minute marks aren’t my favorite.

I’m just thinking of branching out from Rolex.

I've been wanting to pick one of these up for probably ten years. My wife and I have our first baby on the way so I grabbed it as a celebratory gift to myself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sinn 103 ST with acrylic crystal. One of my favorite watches at any price.

I joined the mechanical watch gang less than two years ago, first with a Maratac Mid Pilot and very recently with a preowned Seiko SKX007. Prior watches were all quartz. The Maratac kept good time, within 10 sec per day with little muss or fuss. The Seiko gains 20+ seconds per day.

Unlike many others on here, I'm not bothered by the SKX's relative inaccuracy. I've learned that placing it vertically, crown-up, on my nightstand slows the movement a bit. I enjoy the daily process of checking the watch time against a valid time reference to bring it closer to showing exact time. I don't engage in any activity that requires absolute time down to the second, so the concept of requiring such a level of accuracy is somewhat foreign to me. Instead, I enjoy the look and feel of the watch, the fact that pure motion powers it for long periods of time, and the fact that I can do different things to impact it's timekeeping, even including removing the caseback and regulating it myself if I choose. Much more engaging than a quartz watch, in my opinion.

An SKX is a whole lotta watch for $200. This one runs -6.4 spd from the factory.

Attachment 38135

The time has come for me to take the plunge. Looking at a couple of models of Sinn watches....

Where do I find a reputable retailer.....??

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Thanks, Tom.

Much appreciated.

I was kinda hoping to find a storefront to check some out in person....

I forget which Sinn you had....?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Thanks, Tom.

Much appreciated.

I was kinda hoping to find a storefront to check some out in person....

I forget which Sinn you had....?
    The original one.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List