Page 176 of 375 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

I personally think "homages" are tacky*. I would never own a Steinhart or Invicta.

There are cheaper diver-style watches, that aren't trying to ape higher-dollar models, that look fine. Seiko, Orient, and Hamilton all make nice-looking mechanical divers across the sub-$1k price range.

I confess, part of my distaste for homages is because I'm tired of hearing "is that a real Rolex or is it an Invicta?"

* I put "homages" in scare quotes because it's a euphemistic way of saying "barely not a straight-up ripoff."
    Last edited by perlslacker; 04-20-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I personally think "homages" are tacky*. I would never own a Steinhart or Invicta.

There are cheaper diver-style watches, that aren't trying to ape higher-dollar models, that look fine. Seiko, Orient, and Hamilton all make nice-looking mechanical divers across the sub-$1k price range.

I confess, part of my distaste for homages is because I'm tired of hearing "is that a real Rolex or is it an Invicta?"

* I put "homages" in scare quotes because it's a euphemistic way of saying "barely not a straight-up ripoff."
    You managed to say it much less abrasively than I could.

To your point I used to love the Seiko skx007 series until folks started making them into cheesey Sinn, Blancpain, planet ocean copies.

On a happier note, the GS SBGN007 is way more appealing than a $3k quartz watch should be.

Last edited by perlslacker; 04-20-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Steinhart and other homages are pieces of shit.

There’s no gray in that statement. Homage watches are the Taurus/hi point of the watch industry. No one who’s serious will take them seriously.

The “sensible person” is subjective point that means nothing when compared across a range of people.

As an aside I sold off some of my collection lately and doubled my money on a few pieces. That will not happen with generic pieces.

Again I’m not trying to be rude.

Nothing wrong with a basic watch.
    It is not rude to say a counterfeit is a counterfeit.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

On a happier note, the GS SBGN007 is way more appealing than a $3k quartz watch should be.

I’ve never understood the rational behind hating a watch based on the movement alone. Thanks for posting !*

*disclaimer- opinion is biased due to owning an Omega X-33.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    To your point I used to love the Seiko skx007 series until folks started making them into cheesey Sinn, Blancpain, planet ocean copies.
    It's a failure of imagination. There are components to do non-sub watches.

If I keep the Invicta I bought, I may go this route to steer away from Sub territory:
    http://i.imgur.com/tizHMvd.jpg (SKX with smooth bezel. Same bezel is available for the Invicta 8926/9094)

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It is not rude to say a counterfeit is a counterfeit.
    But when is it a counterfeit? Are non-Colt 1911s all counterfeits? I'd wager there are more similarities within 1911s from different manufacturers than there are between various submariner copies/homages and the original Rolex.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    But when is it a counterfeit? Are non-Colt 1911s all counterfeits? I'd wager there are more similarities within 1911s from different manufacturers than there are between various submariner copies/homages and the original Rolex.

Chris
    An Invicta 8926/Steinhart/Squale have nothing in common with a Rolex, except copying the external look. Just like an explicitly labeled Canal Street fake.

A gun equivalentcy would be if Rock Island Armory produced a Colt 1911 copy with the same exact rollmarks,slide cuts ,pony insignia and external finishing while still retaining cheaper and unrefined internal parts. Naturally Armscor doesn't do this,given it's illegal.
    The Minority Marksman.
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I’ve never understood the rational behind hating a watch based on the movement alone. Thanks for posting !*

*disclaimer- opinion is biased due to owning an Omega X-33.
    I can't personally think of a rational reason to prefer mechanical watches over quartz, but if we're talking about spending thousands of dollars on flashy wrist jewelry we've already agreed that we're a little irrational.

I can't personally think of a rational reason to prefer mechanical watches over quartz, but if we're talking about spending thousands of dollars on flashy wrist jewelry we've already agreed that we're a little irrational.
    Quartz watches are cool when you’re seven. Mechanical watches are cool always. If I want to spend thousands on cool shit, I will because I can. Pretty solid rationale IMO.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List