Page 363 of 375 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365373 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Since you own what is arguably the most do it all watch ever made, please continue.
    To add to that, he takes excellent photos.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    The comments below are easy for me to say because I do not presently own, nor have I ever owned a Rolex. I am hopeful to acquire a 41 OP with the Champagne Face and Gold markers at 6400USD retail from an AD by the time I retire in the next few years.

The non sea dweller/sub/gmt watches hold much more intrigue for me in that they are:

Often less expensive.
    Often more widely avail.
    Often fewer watches that are similar, homages and/or straight copies.

Those explorers are simply dynamite.
    I've been eyeing that same OP for a while.

You are correct, the "holy trinity" of Sub/GMT/Daytona is simply unobtainable (especially in steel) these days while the OPs, Datejusts, Explorers (1 and 2) and many Yachtmasters can often be found on the secondary market at below retail price.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    The comments below are easy for me to say because I do not presently own, nor have I ever owned a Rolex. I am hopeful to acquire a 41 OP with the Champagne Face and Gold markers at 6400USD retail from an AD by the time I retire in the next few years.
    My first thought was that maybe you left out a zero.. or at least a 1 up front... but... seems no... Quick search looks like around $8K maybe?

My grail watch was a Seamaster Pro... I bought it in ~92-94 or so for about $1,200, which I thought was a stupid high price at the time, that I justified by telling myself it would be an heirloom for a kid I didn't even have at the time... Still ticking, although, it's way late for a tune-up.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I am not one of these people.

Keep posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Since you own what is arguably the most do it all watch ever made, please continue.
    Thanks guys!

The non sea dweller/sub/gmt watches hold much more intrigue for me in that they are:

Often less expensive.
    Often more widely avail.
    Often fewer watches that are similar, homages and/or straight copies.

Those explorers are simply dynamite.
    Have you checked out the 36 and 41 side by side? I know the 41 is actually closer to a 39mm but I find the all dial watches to wear bigger than their stated size (I’m sure you know this), but it’s worth saying as I’d bet the 36 OP is even less desirable and likely easier to obtain.

This isn’t the perfect comparison but that’s the Explorer next to a 40mm Sea Dweller on my wrist, the SD is 40mm but the dial is about the same size. An all dial 39-41 looks like a dinner plate on me.
    Name:  IMG_7920.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  61.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Concur re potential availability of a 36 v a 41. If I had one in hand at retail, I might pull the trigger. Or on any stainless watch in a similar price point.

Absent unimaginable circumstances, I am not paying 30-50% above retail for what is essentially a used Rolex as it would be coming from a Gray Mkt dealer and the issues that could stem from that:
    A. Shortened warranty
    B. “Warranty” only buy the Gray Market Seller, not Rolex Inc
    C. Rolex potentially evolving policy whereby they no longer supply OEM repair parts to watchmakers her are not associated with ADs and/or who are not affiliated/certified by Rolex in some way.

As a further aside, there is rapidly coming a day when I am going to buy my retirement and/or use the money I inherited from my 96 y/o mom when she passed watch and it is not going to be a Rolex because it will not be available. At that point, it will likely be a Grand Seiko as I already own an Omega SM GMT. If and when that day comes, Rolex will be dead to me forever on pure principle when for the same 6400 USD there are any number of iconic watches that could bought from a Speedmaster to a Cartier Tank to Doxa Sharkhunter to a JLC Reverso to a whole smattering of other mainstream vintage pieces and micro brands.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Name:  20240321_182113.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  34.9 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I recently got this watch. It is so lightweight, I often forget I am wearing a watch. Nothing classy, but between the ability to do UTC time off the bezel and the tritium on the hands for at night, it could easily be my forever watch.

Name:  IMG_7551.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  82.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So does this mean Rolexes are becoming available again? I’m not game for walking into a Rolex dealer and being told “Nothing is available. But we will put you on are list.” Cricket, cricket.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    So does this mean Rolexes are becoming available again? I’m not game for walking into a Rolex dealer and being told “Nothing is available. But we will put you on are list.” Cricket, cricket.
    I'm not sure. I do know I've seen 6 submariners in the last week and a half. 4 stainless steel, 1 gold, 1 gold smurf.

Definetly seeing more, but hard to know if thats due to availability or changing demographics in my area.

Site Supporter
    I am seeing more stock in stores marked for exhibition only. Contrast a 12-18 months ago, there was virtually noting in the store.

C
    If you are seeing subs for sale at an AD at retail, you should buy them all. Hold one and flip others the at 20-35% over retail and pay for the one you are holding.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List