Page 367 of 375 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,670 of 3746

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Orient Automatic and Vaer C5 Solar

Recently picked these up as inexpensive alternatives to my Apple Watch. The only time I wear the Apple Watch is when I’m working out or mountain biking. The straps are replacements from Strapseeker.

Name:  IMG_4240.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  81.4 KB

Tangentially related to this thread, and directly related to the above post: Is there a fitness tracker with no screen, or an unobtrusive screen, that also vibrates when you get a notification on your phone?

I wear a Whoop fitness tracker on my right wrist, which lets me do all the fancy fitness tracking stuff while also letting me wear a proper grownup watch on my left wrist. It buzzes when I reach my "strain target" during a workout, but I do wish it also buzzed when I get an email or something. I feel like wearing a whole-ass smartwatch on my right wrist would be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Tangentially related to this thread, and directly related to the above post: Is there a fitness tracker with no screen, or an unobtrusive screen, that also vibrates when you get a notification on your phone?
    Pretty certain Garmin still makes the Vivofit and/or Vivosmart. Not sure how they compare against Whoop, but the Garmin app and support make life pretty easy.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Recently picked up this China watch with Seiko movement... LINK (A version)
    Delivery took 9 days and arrived well packaged. Put a nylon band on it (I have liked this one on my Seiko so just got another in the right size). The OEM leather was decent, but, my hands get wet a lot. It's survived a few showers and pool cleanings and I haven't had to adjust it in the 2 weeks I've owned it.

It's everything I wanted except solar... so.. still considering the Centric.

Name:  Watch.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  46.0 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

How much water resistance do I need?

It's hard to figure out how much water resistance I need in a watch. They rate it in depth (which is a stand-in for pressure) or atmospheres (which is actually pressure), but that's "static" pressure. I'm probably not going to swim or dive with it (but would like ti to survive a quick emergency swim); I'm looking for water resistance in the range of "need to take a quick shower" or "someone pushes me into the pool/lake off a boat" or "my impertinent nieces shoot me with a water hose."
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    Recently picked these up as inexpensive alternatives to my Apple Watch. The only time I wear the Apple Watch is when I’m working out or mountain biking. The straps are replacements from Strapseeker.

Name:  IMG_4240.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  81.4 KB
    I use the Vaer on the right on a perlon strap as a "sleeping watch". I'm blind without my glasses, can't even read an alarm clock and my phone screen is too bright. Hit that well lumed dial with a uv flashlight and it is easy to read all night.
    Adam

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

The specs and price-point seem insane: sub $100, 100m water resistance, automatic, Seiko NH35, titanium case, screw-down crown.

Last edited by Guerrero; 04-08-2024 at 02:04 PM.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Recently picked up this China watch with Seiko movement... LINK (A version)
    Delivery took 9 days and arrived well packaged. Put a nylon band on it (I have liked this one on my Seiko so just got another in the right size). The OEM leather was decent, but, my hands get wet a lot. It's survived a few showers and pool cleanings and I haven't had to adjust it in the 2 weeks I've owned it.

It's everything I wanted except solar... so.. still considering the Centric.

Name:  Watch.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  46.0 KB
    That looks like a Sinn 856 clone.

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    I use the Vaer on the right on a perlon strap as a "sleeping watch". I'm blind without my glasses, can't even read an alarm clock and my phone screen is too bright. Hit that well lumed dial with a uv flashlight and it is easy to read all night.
    My fav night watch is a Marathon with tritium.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Anyone have any experience with these guys?

The specs and price-point seem insane: sub $100, 100m water resistance, automatic, Seiko NH35, titanium case, screw-down crown.

When I recently googled Boderry, my recollection is they have a terrible reputation for slow delivery, no response to email and the product being inferior to what is advertised.

I decided to wear my Vaer solar tactical for a partial eclipse desert hike just now.

Name:  IMG_7736.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  48.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    It's hard to figure out how much water resistance I need in a watch. They rate it in depth (which is a stand-in for pressure) or atmospheres (which is actually pressure), but that's "static" pressure. I'm probably not going to swim or dive with it (but would like ti to survive a quick emergency swim); I'm looking for water resistance in the range of "need to take a quick shower" or "someone pushes me into the pool/lake off a boat" or "my impertinent nieces shoot me with a water hose."
    Actual testing for the vast majority of waterproof watches is done using air pressure. Rolex watches are tested using water pressure, with the movement removed. You want a higher rating than you actually need as a factor of safety primarily for this reason.

Although a watch worn while swimming or diving will see dynamic pressure, you are not going to move your hand fast enough underwater for that to make a big difference.

I have never had a problem with a digital watch rated to at least 50m or an analog watch with a screw down crown and screw in caseback. When I was a kid in summer camp (mid to late 1970’s to early 1980’s when mechanical hand-wound watches were still common), I got water inside quite a number of supposedly waterproof watches the first time I wore them swimming. More recently, with only 1 exception, I have found that most “waterproof” watches without screw down crowns will start leaking in about 5 years.

So, unless you are going diving 50m or 5 atm should be fine. If you are going diving, I would want at least 100m or 10 atm. A screw down crown and screw down caseback will help ensure that the water resistance is real and will last. On an expensive watch, change the seals every 5-10 years. This is or should be part of a standard service.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Name:  IMG_7736.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  48.7 KB
    The no-date version of that watch is also on my short list...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List