Page 175 of 372 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 3720

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I'd be buying one right about now had a Luminox ICE-SAR and a G45 not got in the way.
    I feel ya, I'm thinking hard about a G45.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Specs for that watch are great for the money. I wonder if the jomashop link is last years or something. New one on the website gains the COSC cert and doesn't have the skeletal hands. Seems to be more like $1500 and less colors offered.
    MIDO doesn't do us any favors by calling several models "Ocean Star".

The more expensive COSC-spec version is the "Ocean Star Diver 600", model number M026.608.11.041.00 for the blue version. You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's blue or black. I'm not seeing this model on Jomashop's site yet (it was announced at the end of 2018, I think).

The less expensive and smaller version is just called "Ocean Star" on MIDO's website, and "Ocean Star Captain" on Jomashop's site (model number M026.430.11.051.00 for the black version).
    Last edited by 98z28; 04-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, Amazon has Invicta 9094OBs and 8926OBs on sale today for $54 and $59 respectively. I picked up a 9094 because why not? Both have Seiko movements and are moddable much like Seikos. I may put mine on a hefty canvas strap, replace the mineral cyclops crystal with a domed sapphire, and replace the second hand with something colored for a bit of contrast. If I get froggy, I'll try my hand at metal-working and remove the billboard from the side as well as the crown protectors, and give it a matte finish.

Chris

Check out the second hand design on mine

I posted this watch in this thread four years ago when I first got it. Since then it had to go back to Seiko (who kept it for a month) within a year because the GMT hand wasn't working, and local jewelry shop had to reassemble the bracelet twice. I don't remember dropping it, and I stopped wearing it when I shoot awhile ago (out of personal preference, not any specific concern). I don't even swim in it any longer. Can't say that I am impressed, or even interested in having it fixed.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

A replacement, with obligatory gat and blade

Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I’m sure I’m going to take heat for this but has to be said.

If you want a planet ocean or a submariner then you should visit an Omega or Rolex dealer.

The no name disposable look a likes are well.....disposable look alikes.

Not trying to be rude.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

If you want a planet ocean or a submariner then you should visit an Omega or Rolex dealer.

Not trying to be rude.
    It's a silly statement and smacks of internet edgelord. Even the nice "homages" (or copies if you wish) are mostly sub-$1k while a basic steel Submariner is $7500 (not to mention the wait list I understand is fairly common these days). Nobody is buying a $500 watch because they're too "cheap" to step up to a $7500 watch. Your argument might make sense if the price differential was significantly narrower.

Personally, I'm not enough of a fan of the submariner design to spend even $500 on one (not a diver and I have narrow wrists). I bought an Invicta 9094 for the mod-ability, not because it's a particularly fine timepiece. In the words of Rob_S, I like to fiddlefuck with things (guns, cars, watches, bikes, computers, my kids' emotions, etc).

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Check out the second hand design on mine

I posted this watch in this thread four years ago when I first got it. Since then it had to go back to Seiko (who kept it for a month) within a year because the GMT hand wasn't working, and local jewelry shop had to reassemble the bracelet twice. I don't remember dropping it, and I stopped wearing it when I shoot awhile ago (out of personal preference, not any specific concern). I don't even swim in it any longer. Can't say that I am impressed, or even interested in having it fixed.
    That's crazy. I had an Orange Monster for nearly 15 years that didn't have any problems with shooting, swimming, mountain biking, hunting, weight lifting, etc. I never took it off except to sleep and shower. I sold it last year because it looked ridiculous on my now skinny wrists (I lost 45lbs between the time I bought and sold it). It had developed an issue in the last year where it would randomly stop during the day, but that was likely a maintenance issue as it kept accurate time otherwise. Had I known the movement was so cheap and easy to replace, I might have gone that route, but instead sold it on eBay, with full disclosure, for what I originally paid. Apparently they're quite desirable. I replaced it with an SKX009, which wears smaller on my wrist with a canvas strap, and an SNK805 I heavily modded. I got both of those for what the OM netted on eBay. The SNK805 will be getting an NH36 movement soon, which will give me hand-winding and hacking.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

Not trying to be rude.
    There are shades of grey to your point. Take Steinhart- they make blatant copies of the Submariner and are definitely “look alike” if not exactly disposable. They also make the Ocean One Vintage, which is an homage of a limited issue Royal Navy Rolex worth $100k. It’s still a look alike, but there’s no going to a dealer to buy one of those- and what sensible person would wear a $100k wristwatch anyways?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Steinhart and other homages are pieces of shit.

There’s no gray in that statement. Homage watches are the Taurus/hi point of the watch industry. No one who’s serious will take them seriously.

The “sensible person” is subjective point that means nothing when compared across a range of people.

As an aside I sold off some of my collection lately and doubled my money on a few pieces. That will not happen with generic pieces.

Again I’m not trying to be rude.

Nothing wrong with a basic watch.
    Last edited by Duke; 04-20-2019 at 11:16 AM.

User Tag List