Page 291 of 373 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301341 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 3727

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Yup. The Mayors store I was in is at the start of the video. I had trouble telling what entrance that was, but it may have been the one my family used.

I had my 92, and my family has talked over scenerios similar to this. Still looking forward to going back to the other stores.

Tudor makes a Black Bay GMT dont they? I think thats a but smaller?
    Black Bay GMT ( rotating bezel, Pepsi or S&G Root Beer) is 41mm, the Black Bay Pro ( fixed stainless steel bezel) is 39mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Yup. The Mayors store I was in is at the start of the video. I had trouble telling what entrance that was, but it may have been the one my family used.

I had my 92, and my family has talked over scenerios similar to this. Still looking forward to going back to the other stores.

Tudor makes a Black Bay GMT dont they? I think thats a but smaller?
    The OG BB GMT is roughly the same size as the Pelagos, the bezel itself is 1mm smaller in diameter and bit thinner which gives the illusion it is smaller from same angles but in most measurable ways it is the same size. Chunky for sure. My wrist is on the smaller side and it is definitely the biggest watch I can pull off.

Name:  35EC7CE2-2ADE-4A0E-BEFB-6D884400DE1E.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  37.2 KB
    Name:  CE2A1F2A-A4BA-40BE-9A58-3604B03757AC.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  58.7 KB
    Name:  893F0297-C136-49D2-A717-3C4C62CE90F9.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  35.7 KB

I stopped by the Breitling store and liked the looks of Super Ocean Heritage II with green face
    After an internet search, it appears used Breitlings go for about 20% less. Earlier this month, somebody sold the same Super Ocean for about 4k on watch u seek. I am struggling with the idea of buying a new watch that will depreciate in value vs hunting for a used one with a discount.
    There is another one on ebay. However, it's blue face, 46mm, but at $3800.

What is the consensus? Ideally, I would have gotten a Rolex Submariner, have they been available.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m currently suffering paralysis by analysis searching for an affordable GMT watch that will look ok on my skinny wrists.
    Grand Seiko has some nice options, including some quartz models. I have a SBGN007 that I really like.

Here's one example that's a bit sportier: https://brentmiller.com/products/gra...42256381575425

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Good luck with the search dude. I’m currently suffering paralysis by analysis searching for an affordable GMT watch that will look ok on my skinny wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Grand Seiko has some nice options, including some quartz models. I have a SBGN007 that I really like.

Here's one example that's a bit sportier: https://brentmiller.com/products/gra...42256381575425

If I were to choose something from Grand Seiko for a GMT, I'd want the precision and uniqueness of the Spring Drive movement.

The following are more or less Submariner size across the wrist (going by the numbers put on the website) but thicker. I have small wrists too, so that's what I'd be looking at.

SBGE211G

SBGE253G

SBGE255G
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    If I were to choose something from Grand Seiko for a GMT, I'd want the precision and uniqueness of the Spring Drive movement.
    Agreed re: uniqueness, but the Spring Drive watches are significantly more expensive. I didn't know what Caballoflaco meant by "affordable" so I went lower in price. If the Spring Drive watches are in their price range, then I think they're a great option.

As for precision, the special edition GS quartzes are rated to +/- 5 seconds a year. IDK what the Spring Drive watches are rated at but I can't imagine it being much better.

Site Supporter
    Grand Seiko's versions of a Submariner are 2.7K- 3.9 k cheaper and available today from an AD. I suspect that an all cash transaction would save even a new customer a few hundred off of retail in cost from an independent AD.

Spring Drive @ 6100 USD retail
    https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbga461g

Hi-Beat mechanical @7300 USD retail
    https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgh289g

Pre 2018, I envisioned myself with a Rolex OP 39 or a no date Rolex Sub as my retirement watch supplanting my Omega Seamaster 50th Anv GMT as my 'best" watch. Frankly, I suspect I would go with the OP in the end given the 2.5 ish price dif and a less "homaged" set of watches on the market. Reasonable minds can differ etc.

Lack of ready availability from an AD at retail with no ya ya would have me looking hard at their cognates in the GS line if I was retiring tomorrow.

I am not sure that a GS quartz is a grail/first "nice" watch for most buyers because of quartz "snobbery." I think that GS in quartz are the target watch for folks who have gone thru the 3-10k price point in mechanical watches and come back around to GS because of their case finishing and/or accuracy. I f had 3kish to spend on one watch today, I suspect I would go Oris before I would go GS quartz.

Having said all of that, GS is starting to do dials on their quartz watches like they are doing on their spring drives. I am going to regret signing up for the notice and passing on the purchase when I had the chance. I tell myself the GS does lots of limited editions and another one will come down the road.
    3800 USD Quartz
    https://grandseikoboutique.us/produc...quartz-sbgp017
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Agreed re: uniqueness, but the Spring Drive watches are significantly more expensive. I didn't know what Caballoflaco meant by "affordable" so I went lower in price. If the Spring Drive watches are in their price range, then I think they're a great option.

As for precision, the special edition GS quartzes are rated to +/- 5 seconds a year. IDK what the Spring Drive watches are rated at but I can't imagine it being much better.
    You are quite right.

The thing is that if all we really wanted was an accurate time keeping device, none of us would be looking at purchasing the watches we have and/or intend to have. We want something that has an ineffable quality that fits whatever we as individuals consider our 'self'. Generally that means something cool/pretty/meaningful/different etc..
    That is not to say that a quartz watch cannot fit those individual criteria. Your SBGN007 is the perfect example of how great a quartz can be.

I suggested spring drive simply because there are few movements cooler than one that uses a mechanical device to generate an electro-magnetic reaction for movement and accuracy without using any electronics for power. That and the gliding seconds are something to behold.

:-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    @perlslacker @vcdgrips @Wondering Beard much oblidged for the recommendations. I should have been a bit more specific on my budget. Right now for my current uses and budget something along the lines of VCD’s new Bulova plus or minus a bit is more along the lines of what I’m looking for. In that price range I’m more drawn to something in an analog display quartz.

RE the Seiko spring drive, from the still fairly limited research I’ve done that’s one of the most interesting movements on the market to me right now. It’s an awesome blend of old school watch making mechanics and 1970’s era electronics that exists for no other reason than Yoshikazu Akahane decided it should and Seiko thought it was a good enough idea to fund it. Also, they began development on it in the early 80’s and it didn’t reach maturity until the late 90’s, kind of like me.

Site Supporter
    GMT Watches Under 500

Seiko 5 Avail USA @ 475 In July. Automatic. This has the watch press talking.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a...s-gmt-watches/

Alpina.Quartz 399ish
    https://www.amazon.com/SEASTRONG-Div...%2C208&sr=1-21

Citizen Eco Drive 275 max shipped. GMT w PF colors.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...EaAoahEALw_wcB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List