Page 130 of 375 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

If I post, would it be cheating?

Email me for fastest reply. No PM please.

Lum-Tec | Facebook | Instagram

Site Supporter
    Those are some good looking straps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Amun View Post
    If I post, would it be cheating?

Post already, less talk.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I am not a big time watch collector but I sent my Omega to Mark Sirianni dba Watchdoctor.bz who I saw recommended in an earlier post here. He did good work for a lot less than the company service center.

I just today got it back, a 1968 Omega Seamaster.
    I was in college, the cheap watch that had carried me from high school through my junior year at Tech had worn out and my Dad's spare that he loaned me had been stolen.
    So when my Mother asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I said a Rolex.
    She said she couldn't afford $150 for a watch, might could go $85 for an Omega. So that was what I got and I wore it proudly for 41 years.
    It was smoked and steamed in the house fire of The Incident of 2010.
    I finally dug it and the pieces of its band out of the back of the drawer and sent it off for overhaul. It came back looking good, only a little color on the clasp and watch back too stubborn to polish out. I will definitely wear it, but then its type is only about $800 on True Facet.

Sad to say, my Dad's spare was a Girard Perregaux that my Mother had gotten him when she worked at Bromberg's in Birmingham and got an employee discount, plus discount on discontinued model. The type is listed for four grand and up on the sale sites now.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Just out of curiosity;

For those of you with automatic watches, do you wear them when you shoot? Is it possible to damage internal components, particularly when shooting higher caliber handguns?

I've been a watch nerd for awhile now but have just recently ventured into the world of automatics.

Name:  IMG_3778.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  44.1 KB
    Last edited by TheDLoon; 03-04-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted picture twice

This post on Watchseek seems to cover it. The shotgunning world is the place to check though. I know some Rolex watches aren't safe to shoot in.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I never take off my watch when I shoot.

ETA: This would make for a good poll thread, I think
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 03-04-2017 at 09:02 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    This post on Watchseek seems to cover it. The shotgunning world is the place to check though. I know some Rolex watches aren't safe to shoot in.
    That's because they are brittle....

Just for the record. I've shot thousands of rounds with various Lumtec models.

Not even remotely an issue.....
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDLoon View Post
    Just out of curiosity;

For those of you with automatic watches, do you wear them when you shoot? Is it possible to damage internal components, particularly when shooting higher caliber handguns?
    I used to wear a cheap Seiko automatic. I got fed up with it because the 7s26b mechanism in mine was working right at the upper edges of acceptable accuracy, and I didn't like wearing a watch that couldn't keep time. Also, it started being extremely slow, but after accidentally banging it edge first onto a table it jumped to the other end of the accuracy scale. So not a particularly durable mechanism in any way.

While I'm not a particularly high volume shooter due to price of ammunition, and I mostly shoot 9mm due to price of ammunition, I do have an appreciation for larger bore handguns. I never take my watch off while shooting and some of the guns I shot while wearing that Seiko were a scandium frame .45 1911, a .45 Colt Mountain Gun and a .44 Magnum Redhawk. Also a bit of shooting my .308 boltie and 12 gauge. The recoil never seemed to affect the Seiko in any way.

A sample of one, but I think if my flimsy little Seiko can take the recoil of those guns, I'd imagine most mechanical watches would be just fine.

I have shot everything from .22 LR to .454 Casull with a Rolex on my wrist. No issues with either my old GMT Master II or my newer Yacht-Master.

Of course when Rolex introduced the Tudor line, watches were given to men running jackhammers as part field test, part marketing exercise. Those watches also kept time just fine.

User Tag List