Page 34 of 375 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Attention wristwatch geeks: I need advice.

During a trip to New Mexico and Colorado last fall, I got kinda obsessed with getting a watch that has an altimeter on it. Other gadgets would be a bonus, but the altimeter is the main thing.

I do not care if it is nominally a dude's watch. What I do care about is that it be cleanly styled, preferably not looking like an explosion in a chrome-plated knob factory, and would score extra points for being smaller than a manhole cover.

Ready? Go!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Suunto is my preference in ABC (Altimeter/Barometer/Compass) watches. I'd give the Core and Observer lines a look. The Observer has more compact dimensions than the Core, which is more feature laden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Suunto is my preference in ABC (Altimeter/Barometer/Compass) watches. I'd give the Core and Observer lines a look. The Observer has more compact dimensions than the Core, which is more feature laden.
    Agreed. I've been very happy with my Core.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, what he said. I'm a wristwatch geek, but not into the ABC stuff...but I'd go Suunto as well if I were into all that.

Suunto Core got editor's choice here in this round up at Outdoor Gear Lab:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Altime...iews#bicreview

I recently got engaged, and my bride to be has mentioned the idea of getting me a nice watch as a wedding present. I've been window shopping a bit, trying to decide what I might want. Given the sentimental value attached to it, I want it to be something I'll be happy to wear regularly for decades. I think I'd like a chronograph. I definitely want mechanical, either automatic or hand wind. The Omega Speedmaster is an obvious choice, and one I'd love. Most likely the hesalite crystal hand wind 'moon watch' version. I'm also drawn to the 9300 movement version, but I'm afraid it might be too huge, and it's definitely a big stretch on the budget.

The other group of watches I've been eyeing are the various 7750 based pilot chronos, like the Sinn 356, Laco Kiel, Stowa, etc. Anything else I should look at?

Summary:
    mechanical movement
    probably chronograph
    not likely to look dated (other than by being a mechanical wristwatch) 30-40-50 years from now
    suitable for every day wear, but not too out of place with suit and tie either
    Omega 3570.50 is the top of the budget range

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

During a trip to New Mexico and Colorado last fall, I got kinda obsessed with getting a watch that has an altimeter on it. Other gadgets would be a bonus, but the altimeter is the main thing.

I do not care if it is nominally a dude's watch. What I do care about is that it be cleanly styled, preferably not looking like an explosion in a chrome-plated knob factory, and would score extra points for being smaller than a manhole cover.

Ready? Go!
    I ended up buying a used Suunto X6HR that I'm happy with. It's one of the few models I could find that had both ABC functions and heart rate monitor other than the gigantic expensive GPS runners watches.

We are diminished
    jar -- Omega's are outstanding watches usually. I've got two, a blue non-Bond SMP (no longer produced) that has consistent significant timekeeping trouble and an orange Planet Ocean. The PO was one of the earliest co-axial movements they sold and was bought back when they were burning in the movements at the factory before shipping. It keeps incredible time, usually better than a second a day. Its color was also the inspiration for my logo and thus eventually the color scheme here at PF. The Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT is on my list of watches-to-get.

I've also got two Sinns, a UX which is amazing in terms of technology and a 757 UTC which has been my everyday watch for more than two years. I can't say enough good things about Sinn.

Both companies have seen their popularity and position in the market increase over the past few years, meaning they've gone from great deals to pretty expensive. Omega, in particular, has purposely pushed its price point over the past few years in an attempt to become the "new Rolex."

The biggest difference is bling factor. Plenty of non-watch people will recognize an Omega as a nice high end watch. Very few people see a Sinn and know it's anything more than a $50 Seiko. So if you want people to notice your new expensive gift -- which is perfectly natural and, regardless of what anyone claims, very normal for people buying their first serious watch -- then the Omega is going to be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

Ready? Go!
    Depends on budget; Suunto, or Casio. Or a Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS, just cuz I'm such a geek...

Anyone try the newer Timex Expedition? (I think I actually used Tam's Amazon links...)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I recently got engaged, and my bride to be has mentioned the idea of getting me a nice watch as a wedding present. I've been window shopping a bit, trying to decide what I might want. Given the sentimental value attached to it, I want it to be something I'll be happy to wear regularly for decades. I think I'd like a chronograph. I definitely want mechanical, either automatic or hand wind. The Omega Speedmaster is an obvious choice, and one I'd love. Most likely the hesalite crystal hand wind 'moon watch' version. I'm also drawn to the 9300 movement version, but I'm afraid it might be too huge, and it's definitely a big stretch on the budget.

The other group of watches I've been eyeing are the various 7750 based pilot chronos, like the Sinn 356, Laco Kiel, Stowa, etc. Anything else I should look at?

Summary:
    mechanical movement
    probably chronograph
    not likely to look dated (other than by being a mechanical wristwatch) 30-40-50 years from now
    My bride gave me a Bond SMP when we got married ten years ago. (Hence my forum handle.) She surprised me with it the day before we got married - I wore the SMP nearly every day for five years before my watch geekdom kicked in again and I began casting a roving eye around for something else...

(Edit--My Seamaster Professional (SMP) has always been a great timekeeper. For most of the past ten years it was a second a day watch, but that has opened up more now that it is well past due for a service. Just mention this as Todd's SMP was evidently a bit wonky in that regard. Both of my Omegas are better than average in timekeeping. Luck of the draw...my non-COSC Speedmaster keeps COSC time. Just lucky, cause most evidently don't...)

Back when I had showed my bride-to-be the SMP at the Omega dealer's showroom, I had also showed her the Speedmaster. Of course it had to be the manually-wound Speedy Pro Moon Watch, with hesalite. That was really what I wanted, but I told her the Seamaster was probably a better all-around watch for me since it was better on water resistance. Truth be told, since this was years before I got certified to dive, the Speedmaster was what I probably should have told her was my "dream watch." I never really used the SMP for anything truly epic, water-wise. Grin.

I finally got a Speedmaster and I love it. The tactile pleasure of winding it every day is a real joy for a watch guy. I love having a chronograph for timing walks and other activities- yeah, you can use a diver's rotating bezel to time a steak, but if you are walking, say, and stop to talk to a neighbor or look at something it is nice to be able to stop and start the chronograph. The Speedmaster Professional is one of the all-time great WIS/watch geek watches. I got into vintage Rolex a few years ago, and I must say one of the things I like about the Speedy Pro is that it is basically neo-vintage. Unless you crack open the caseback, it looks externally almost identical to a late 60s or early 70s NASA-issue watch. Mechanical movement, manual wind? Check. Unbreakable hesalite crystal ? Check. You want a classic watch that won't look dated in five years? Check.

If you are going to be in the water a lot, the Speedmaster is still not tops. This could be a factor if you are super into water sports and want to wear your watch when surfing, diving, swimming, etc. I am conservative about water and the Speedmaster Pro because even though Omega says it is water resistant to fifty meters IIRC, the non-scewdown pushers give me pause. I have buddies who swim with theirs with no worries but I don't push it. I have dive watches and a cheap G-Shock for that.

But if you really want the Speedmaster or think you might, give it serious consideration as it is one of the best bang-for-buck WIS watches out there. Like Todd said, a Sinn will be more covert, but I haven't had anybody "make" my Speedy Pro or at least mention it in public to me. Happens *fairly* frequently with a vintage Rolex GMT or Sub. I have a dealer hook up for Omega who gives excellent discounts and over nights the watches to you (not the "forum guy" at watch u seek, by the way) and he is great to work with. Made a $4500 watch like the Moon Watch more like 3200 bones. Just saying.

Here's mine on a Di-Modell Rallye strap.

Last edited by Clyde from Carolina; 03-11-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Anything else I should look at?

Summary:
    mechanical movement
    probably chronograph
    Ball Engineer II Chronometer Red Label, Fireman Storm Chaser or Fireman Skylab.
    http://www.ballwatch.com
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List