Page 343 of 375 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345353 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I was gonna say, if you actually find a Milgauss for sale that you can buy that's a feat

SwissLuxury has new ones for $22k.

edit: oh wow, they're not listed on rolex.com anymore. @Wondering Beard I thought you meant that was an old generation of the milgauss; I didn't know they'd discontinued them.

That's a shame. The lightning bolt seconds hand is neat.
    It just happened this year, a few months ago.

It was a bit of a shock considering that they updated the Air King; but, to be fair, this model's "raison d'etre" was antimagnetism and its capabilities have been far surpassed by other brands, never mind the rest of the Rolex lineup. Then again, it's not the first time that Rolex discontinued the Milgauss and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it makes a comeback within five (or a few more) years.

Still, you are right, it's a cool watch.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The current movements utilize springs made from materials which resist magnetization, but I wonder how they compare to a Milgauss?
    Present day (since 2010 I believe) Rolexes (all of them) have much better antimagnetic capabilities than one thousand gauss (I think in the region of 10k gauss); even the Milgauss is better than its name :-)

Or you can get a modern Omega who lists 15k gauss as a minimum. I think someone tested a Seamaster in an MRI and it came through with flying colors.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I'm learning a lot, cheers gents.

Send me the euros and I will pickup the Rolex and bring it back. Scouts Honor!

It's was a tiny store on a cobblestone street, looked like 2 comfy chairs and you probably couldn't fit 3 customers in the whole joint. It was closed but I gawked.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    It just happened this year, a few months ago.

It was a bit of a shock considering that they updated the Air King; but, to be fair, this model's "raison d'etre" was antimagnetism and its capabilities have been far surpassed by other brands, never mind the rest of the Rolex lineup. Then again, it's not the first time that Rolex discontinued the Milgauss and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it makes a comeback within five (or a few more) years.

Still, you are right, it's a cool watch.
    Isn't the Airking an anti-magnetic watch also? I can't keep it straight.

The new Airking and Explorer I both look awesome and I'd gladly own either. Unfortunately the chances of getting a steel Rolex at MSRP are slim to none!

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Isn't the Airking an anti-magnetic watch also? I can't keep it straight.

The new Airking and Explorer I both look awesome and I'd gladly own either. Unfortunately the chances of getting a steel Rolex at MSRP are slim to none!
    The previous version of the Air King not only shared the same Oyster Case, which has rounded flanks (as used in the Classic Rolex line -Datejust, Day Date, OP etc ..- along with the Explorer 1 and Daytona), it also shared the same soft iron inner cage (i.e. inside the case) that the Milgauss had; that inner cage redirected magnetic fields around the watch thus preventing magnetization of the movement. Basically, the Air King was a Milgauss with a different dial and less high polish on the bracelet.

The New Air King has, for lack of a better word, the submariner's case, with straight flanks. However, while it lacks the soft iron inner cage, it has the Blue parachrome hair spring (the heart beat of a mechanical watch) that prevents magnetization (better than the soft iron inner cage) and that is shared across all Rolex models nowadays (since the 2010s I think).

When the Explorer 1 in 40mm came out, I immediately put my name in at the AD. A couple of months later, I had it. I think the Air King and Explorer are a lot more easily available than a GMT or Dayona.

P.S. Both the earlier Air King and the Milgauss received the Blue Parachrome hair spring in the early 2010s (I think) making them extremely resistant to magnetism. While they are less so without the iron inner cage, the difference, as I understand it, is minute because it is the hair spring that matters the most, if it is anti magnetic, you're covered.

P.P.S. as I remember it, the early 2000s, Rolex, Patek Philippe and other major companies cooperated in the research for an anti magnetic hair spring and came up with the proper formula for a silicon hair spring (which is nearly a-magnetic). While the other companies decided to incorporate a silicon hairspring in their future models, Rolex decided to go with their own, non silicon hairspring which is still very antimagnetic. As far as I know, nobody knows why.

P.P.P.S. Consider all modern Rolex models to be anti magnetic.

@Wondering Beard all good accurate info thanks for that.

In regard to you last post what’s even more curious is Tudor/Kinessi, I believe, uses a black silicon hairspring. So it’s even more peculiar that Rolex elected to use the blue parachrom. Even if they do essentially achieve the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    @Wondering Beard all good accurate info thanks for that.

In regard to you last post what’s even more curious is Tudor/Kinessi, I believe, uses a black silicon hairspring. So it’s even more peculiar that Rolex elected to use the blue parachrom. Even if they do essentially achieve the same result.
    You are correct, and not only that, certain new Tudor models (can't remember which) have gone with getting a METAS rating for their chronometry which is the same one that Omega uses instead of Rolex's own.

Frankly, the inner workings of Rolex might as well be a Black box.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

Frankly, the inner workings of Rolex might as well be a Black box.
    They really are; no public tours and no public-access collections or museum like other manufacturers.

They basically looked at Willy Wonka as a public relations model.

But no one can argue that “Fuck Off, We’re Awesome” isn’t working in their favor.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    This has become one of my favorites.
    Name:  20230802_180931.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  32.0 KB

I was with my dad this morning for a procedure in the hospital and his anesthesiologist was rocking a Pelagos LHD. I asked him how he liked it and he said as a lefty he liked the crown position but didn't provide any great WIS insights otherwise. It looked cool but I don't know that it looked $4k cool. I think that's the first one I've ever seen in the wild.

User Tag List