Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: An argument for the Sig

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Sean M, and JV make a strong case for the 226.)
    Excellent post, thank you. Is the 226 vs 229 examination on pf? 'Sig,' '229,' etc. are all too short for search terms.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I believe Sean's comments are in the recent, multi page Sig 239 thread:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...nd-experiences

Can't remember whether JV's comments are in that thread or direct communication when he was solving my heeling issue.

Site Supporter
    I prefer the 229s faster slide movement, but that's about it. I prefer the 226, over the 229, because:

It's easier to reload
    I don't like that the grips extend below the frame on the 229
    With E2 grips, the 226 mag release is much easier to hit. They made the grips too fat in this area on a 229:

Last edited by JV_; 02-10-2013 at 10:46 AM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting, I feel that it is easier to be very aggressive with the Sig DA than the LEM, since the Sig DA trigger is linear. By comparison, working the the P30 I need to do the initial take-up and then roll through the rest of the press.
    Like Ralston, I never notice the mostly weightless take-up of the LEM (and in fact, I set my guns up to have more resistance through that space, not less). It shouldn't be shot in two stages. The trigger should move in one consistent non-stop motion.

As for the SIG, especially with the SRT, I agree 100% that it's a great trigger and woefully under appreciated. I still have one of the original prototype sets (just the two SRT parts, not a gun equipped with them) that I was using before the SRT ever hit the market, and from that moment I tried to champion the idea of making the SRT standard on all TDA SIGs. If you can learn to operate the DA stroke properly -- something far easier to do than most people realize, and most instructors want to admit -- then the followup shots are ridiculous. A slightly tuned P226 or P229 w/SRT can have a single action trigger pull as short and light as a competition 1911, while still providing the safety benefit of a long, heavy trigger stroke for the first shot.

The negative is that a significant percentage of the people I know who get post-2005 SIG pistols have issues with them. Every few months you here "the problems are resolved, SIG is doubling its QA efforts." But then takedown levers start falling off the guns, trigger bars break, and so on. The most recent sample I saw was an early 2012 production gun that started having trigger reset issues... something that has been happening on and off with the SRT for years.

Having said that, I'd love to do a year long test of an SRT-equipped P229. I think it's one of the handiest, most shootable pistols on the market. With relatively little maintenance, they are also ridiculously durable. They've been around so long, options for sights, grips, holsters, etc. are almost as good as a Glock or 1911.

And the next test subject has been chosen.....

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    And the next test subject has been chosen.....
    Doubtful. I've approached SIG about it a couple of times, but my history with the company won't be soon forgotten. Neither am I a popular figure given the times I've pointed out their QC/QA issues. I'd be impressed (and amazed) if SIG was willing to "put up or shut up," but from their viewpoint I doubt they think I'd be a fair reviewer.

You could always do it like you did the Glock test - without the manufacturer's backing.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Doubtful. I've approached SIG about it a couple of times, but my history with the company won't be soon forgotten. Neither am I a popular figure given the times I've pointed out their QC/QA issues. I'd be impressed (and amazed) if SIG was willing to "put up or shut up," but from their viewpoint I doubt they think I'd be a fair reviewer.
    OH so true....I just will never understand why companies can't see that proof is in the pudding and not their marketing hype. I would actually give a Sig DA/SA a run for the money if it did well in your testing...just not willing on the gamble uninformed with good test data.

Just my .02

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    I would actually give a Sig DA/SA a run for the money if it did well in your testing...just not willing on the gamble uninformed with good test data
    The only thing holding me back from buying a pair of 226s is the price. A new 226 is almost 2X the cost of a Glock.

Does the SRT work with all versions of the P229? I would definitely like to try it out, but mine is a pre 94 model.

I would also like to give it a go on my P220, but it is older as well.

**ETA** Apparently it does...so now to find a couple kits!
    Last edited by John Ralston; 02-10-2013 at 11:30 AM.

User Tag List