Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: An argument for the Sig

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    If any of you guys are looking for a Sig you might find this interesting. Stamped slide 220s NIB, no rail. I'm not affiliated in any way just thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...=700|1012|1026
    That does appear to be a good deal, but I already have two 220s' in .45ACP now plus a .22 Conversion Unit. I keep hearing the 220 will not hold up to a thousands of rounds, but I like to think as long as I change the springs/pins at the recommended schedule and keep the rails greased they will last a long time. The HK45 is likely a more durable pistol, but it will never match the DA trigger of a 220.

If any of you guys are looking for a Sig you might find this interesting. Stamped slide 220s NIB, no rail. I'm not affiliated in any way just thought I'd pass it along.

That is very tempting. After shooting only glocks for 3 years I'm itching for some variety. Unfortunately its .45 and I don't hate myself...

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    That is very tempting. After shooting only glocks for 3 years I'm itching for some variety. Unfortunately its .45 and I don't hate myself...
    HAH!
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Only ships with one magazine... c'mon Sig.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Update -- I am just back from the Rogers School. My 2012 226R just passed 8,590 rounds since new, and has yet to experience a single stoppage. I have really enjoyed the process of beginning to learn how to shoot the Sig these last few months. In fairness, I think it is more demanding to shoot at a reasonably high level than, for example a Glock, but it is a wonderful platform for someone that values the Sig's attributes.

GJM, are you still primarily shooting your P226 or have you gone back to Glocks and HKs? If you're still on the SIG, is it still running flawlessly? I've always loved SIGs but by the time I was old enough to buy handguns, it was the heyday of SIG's quality control problems. I'm seriously considering dropping the cash for a P229 SAS or one of the M11-A1s.

All my Sig pistols ran great, and I don't recall a single stoppage or other issue through the whole process. I believe learning the Sig DA trigger made me a better everything trigger shooter.

For now I am shooting a Glock 17 for training and lower 48, and carrying a Glock 22 with a KKM barrel and hard cast loads in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The recommendations here are contrary to my experience with SIGs. While I do not doubt for a moment that following the suggested program will keep the gun running, it's not the best solution IMO.

Grease tends to trap particulate/debris far more than oil. Putting grease on the rails means that a lot of gun shot residue from the chamber/breechface area is going to get blown into the rails and then distributed through the grease over time. The result is that the lubrication properties disappear sooner plus you've created a slightly abrasive compound that is rubbing along the rails every time the gun is fired. If you're in dusty or sandy environments, the problem is multiplied manifold.

SLG and I frequently went thousands of rounds between cleaning our SIGs doing little more than putting a drop or two of decent oil (I use Militec) down the slide rails. Over time you'll see some finish wear on the frame rails and if you're particularly concerned you can also rub a light coating of oil onto those spots.

I agree fully.
    I've been shooting a Sig for some time now and never ever used that much lube. or even grease.
    Like you I have no worries over the slide rails.

Now my carbine I do slap the carrier/bolt with more than a few drops of earl.

Just to add to the discussion I've been playing with two 226 9mm's for about two months now and I think I have enough time with them to say that it's been the easiest platform for me to use so far out of all the ones I've tried. I actually feel silly for ignoring them for as long as I did. Ah well. Anyway, I think I might be a fanboi now
    Last edited by Sparks2112; 05-23-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

You may only be half way there. Full Sig spell is you peruse the Sig Forum daily, have the armorer's CD from GGI, a 239 with a laser for carry, a 229 for more carry, and are thinking about getting a 228 and 220.

User Tag List