Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: An argument for the Sig

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    I'm pretty bummed out with my wife's P238. It jams more then Hendrix on an acid trip. I admit that I havent shot a lot of rounds through it (100 maybe 150 so far), but it will jam at least once every 5 or so shots. I've been running some Winchesters and Blazers and i'm going to look for an all rounded head shell asap. It appears Fiocchi makes some, but everyone is out at this time. I've cleaned it a few times really well, but maybe I need to look at the feed ramp and see if it has a few burs or something. Problem seems to be getting worse.

I do love my P220 that I just bought. Really nice shooting gun and pretty darn accurate right out of the box.
    Send it back to Sig.

I see quite a few of these at the range and at classes. Some run great while others not so much. The last one I saw ran beautifully, was in a woman's hand, and she was using aluminum cased Blazer ammo.

My first thought was to ask her to play the lottery for me on the way home.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Re P238... I'm trying to think of a gun I am less enthused about than a really-subcompact, single action in 380ACP. Repeated exposure doesn't develop an appreciation, only an RMI... Repetitive "Meh" Injury.

A friend has a P238 that runs well, but so far she is only shooting two different loads. One is a ~90 grain FMJ, the other JHP-XTP. A couple of other P238s around are finicky. Most folks are passing on them in favor of the LCP.

A few days ago, I was on hold for the Sig Custom Shop, and the recorded message made me aware that Sig offered the 250 in a variant holding 13 rounds of .380, for "when you need capacity."

I was shooting my old P220 tonight, right before dark, and hitting an 8 inch steel at 60 yards in fading light. The 220 seems to have modest recoil for its weight, and have accuracy/shootability on par with my good 1911 pistols.

Now that we have 12 pages of how great they are, maybe we should talk about negatives?

Extra time commitment and variable quality of current Sigs have been mentioned.

DA shot fully depends on a press out. I think that if one were forced to fire early, from retention or compressed ready, lighter and shorter triggers would offer an advantage. I'd like to hear comments on this.

I am also concerned with first timed shot from concealment one handed. I know that with full grip I can control the gun on target and press 10 lbs trigger fast enough without losing an alignment. I think one handed first shot with Sig will be slower than with Glock or LEM, particularly with reduced size targets.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I think one handed first shot with Sig will be slower than with Glock or LEM, particularly with reduced size targets.
    I did the home trigger job on my P220 (polished all the surfaces - no material removal) and although it might be heavier than an LEM, it is smooth and I don't think that the timer would reveal a huge handicap. During one handed dry fire the sights don't come off the target. This might also be due to the fact that my primary is an LEM and I am used to a long trigger cycle.

Gee thanks guys..

After divesting myself of all but one Sig.. I've succumbed to this thread by finding and purchasing a LNIB KE P228.

This is the Sig that I missed the most.. so it is back in the stable.

Almost too nice to shoot.

Now that we have 12 pages of how great they are, maybe we should talk about negatives?

Extra time commitment and variable quality of current Sigs have been mentioned.

DA shot fully depends on a press out. I think that if one were forced to fire early, from retention or compressed ready, lighter and shorter triggers would offer an advantage. I'd like to hear comments on this.

I am also concerned with first timed shot from concealment one handed. I know that with full grip I can control the gun on target and press 10 lbs trigger fast enough without losing an alignment. I think one handed first shot with Sig will be slower than with Glock or LEM, particularly with reduced size targets.
    No idea on quality. I am over 2800 rounds without a stoppage on a 2012 226R.

No difference in first shot, one hand only from concealment. I am in the middle of a range session now, but from OWB concealment, averaging 1.25 free style to the 8 inch circle, and 1.35 for strong hand from concealment. These are indistinguishable from my Glock/P30 times. I would argue that one hand is easier with the rolling DA trigger of the Sig, as you can be aggressive and still get a surprise break.

No idea how to test from retention, as I don't time that stuff. As regards a high prob target, shorter/lighter would seem to be faster if you just mash the trigger. With any precision required, I don't think trigger weight on shot one is material.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No idea on quality. I am over 2800 rounds without a stoppage on a 2012 226R.
    How's your slide to frame fit now compared to new?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

My non-scientific experience is that from retention there was no noticeable difference in shooting my G19, M&Pfs, or my 2022. And shooting from compressed ready, I was actually better with the SIG. I think because I had to focus on the trigger a little more so my results were much better and much more consistent.

Of course, I am a pretty mediocre shooter, so that might skew the results somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    How's your slide to frame fit now compared to new?
    Not sure, as I didn't look carefully when new? You having issues with your 226?

User Tag List