Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: An argument for the Sig

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    I'm pretty bummed out with my wife's P238.
    Ron Cohen's crazy cost cutters figured out a way to **** up a Colt Mustang? This is my shocked face -> :|

SIG already made the Cadillac of 380s. Sure, it was a little big, but you couldn't fault the P232 for accuracy or reliability, and it would fit any pocket that would hold a J-frame (ask me how I know.) It was like a PPK* that actually worked and didn't weigh a metric ton.

*If there is any handgun less worthy of the adulation it receives than the PPK, I don't know what it is. If Ian Fleming weren't dead, I'd like to slip one of those high-priced collector-grade jammomatics in a sock and bludgeon him to his knees with it.
    Last edited by Tamara; 02-14-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: re-typed it with my fingers instead of my nose
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    A DA/SA P229 is the only gun I regret selling. Sold it off with the rest of my .40's when I went to 9mm about 6 years ago.

OK...so I did some research, and the era of my P229 is not compatible with the 9mm Caliber Exchange Kit. I am going to go with a Barsto Conversion Barrel. So, for someone in the know...

I assume the 40 mags will work, BUT if I have issues, can I swap the followers out for 9mm P229-1 Followers?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    OK...so I did some research, and the era of my P229 is not compatible with the 9mm Caliber Exchange Kit. I am going to go with a Barsto Conversion Barrel. So, for someone in the know...

I assume the 40 mags will work, BUT if I have issues, can I swap the followers out for 9mm P229-1 Followers?
    I used to have an older P229 in 9mm that used the same mags as the 13 round P228 and those mags would lock into the 357/40 P229 but there was a little space between the frame and the lower part of the mag. Guys who used the converted 40/357 said that both mags ran fine and the 10 round 40s would hold 11 rounds of 9 if you wanted to be a closet rebel during the ban. Back then, when you ordered a follower they only asked if it was for a Klinton or a real mag. But those were simpler times.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

My experience with two BarSto conversion barrels was very positive. No fitting required, plug and play. I also never obtained 9mm specific mags and just used the 40/357 mags. It worked fine, no malfunctions and as I remember the 12rd mag held like 15 or 16 9mm rounds. I wouldn't trust the combo for personal defense/carry but for range/training it was good to go. The BarSto barreled 229 was very accurate and 9mm in that package had much less recoil vs. the 40.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Guys who used the converted 40/357 said that both mags ran fine and the 10 round 40s would hold 11 rounds of 9 if you wanted to be a closet rebel during the ban. Back then, when you ordered a follower they only asked if it was for a Klinton or a real mag. But those were simpler times.
    Heh. In those days, I had a Beretta 96 Border Marshal and my roommate had a 92, and my spare mags kept going missing... ;D
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    My experience with two BarSto conversion barrels was very positive. No fitting required, plug and play. I also never obtained 9mm specific mags and just used the 40/357 mags. It worked fine, no malfunctions and as I remember the 12rd mag held like 15 or 16 9mm rounds. I wouldn't trust the combo for personal defense/carry but for range/training it was good to go. The BarSto barreled 229 was very accurate and 9mm in that package had much less recoil vs. the 40.
    Thanks. I think I will get the barrel ordered.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Heh. In those days, I had a Beretta 96 Border Marshal and my roommate had a 92, and my spare mags kept going missing... ;D
    yes, 11 round Beretta 96 mags would hold 14 rounds of 9mm in a 92F - if you did the closet rebel thing ...

MD7305 - did you swap recoil springs or just use the .40 sprngs ?

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I wouldn't trust the combo for personal defense/carry but for range/training it was good to go.
    I used the ten rounders and aftermarket mags with factory followers and springs for the range and saved the factory full capacity mags for carry. Reminiscing about the ban days brings to mind the saying about what happens to those who fail to learn from history.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I used the ten rounders and aftermarket mags with factory followers and springs for the range and saved the factory full capacity mags for carry. Reminiscing about the ban days brings to mind the saying about what happens to those who fail to learn from history.
    Truth.

User Tag List