Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Great Big Glock Whine

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I had totally forgotten how user-hostile the standard factory Glock mag release was.

Had the G19 out and was running rounds through it and... dang... I had to roll that thing around in my hand and poke the crap out of it seriously and deliberately to get the mag to drop cleanly.

Should I mess with some of the "tactical" releases, or can I just go to a 17L/34 release without worrying about my heater spitting its mag out every time I holster up?
    Are you used to maintaining your normal firing grip on a pistol during the emergency reload? I flop my Glock considerably in my grip during a reload and reestablish the grip before the ride back out. The Gen4's are a lot more forgiving with this.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Are you used to maintaining your normal firing grip on a pistol during the emergency reload?
    I used to flop the gun around a fair amount, but in moving from the Glock to the 1911 back in '03 and then the 1911 to the M&P year before last, I apparently got out of the habit.

I seriously don't remember the G-lock being this much of a pain in the ass, but I really have to shift the gun in my grip and poke the release with that whole tongue-sticking-out-of-the corner-of-my-mouth level of concentration, which is annoying. I hate looking for hardware solutions to what I think should be software problems, although the possibility remains that I was a lousier shooter ten years ago and didn't notice the trouble I was having with the mag catch...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I put a Glock OEM extended in my 2nd Gen 19 and just knocked the sharp corners off with a sanding sponge from the Home Despot I had lying around. Have not had any premature ejections carrying in a Leather Arsenal DDC.

I did have the mag pop out when I set it down on a table pre-sanding; hasn't happened since. Could be coincidence, since I didn't actually change the length of it, but there it is...

Site Supporter
    I prefer the TD/Vickers on both Gen3 and Gen4.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I took a Glock extended mag release and slowly cut it down to the perfect size by heating up a rasp and alternately cutting it and melting new texture in. It took all night, but eventually I got it PERFECT.

It is roughly 0.01mm shorter than a TD/Vickers release. Or maybe 0.01mm longer. Anyway it only took like five hours before I was 100% happy with it, and probably saved me like three bucks, so definitely worth it.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I think the Tango Down Vickers mag release is the way to go. I've been a skeptical jerk about aftermarket mods (GLOCK IS FINE!) but this is like night and day. From now on, every Glock I buy gets a Vickers mag button, a Vickers slide release, a set of 10-8 or Warren sights and a stipple job.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    It is roughly 0.01mm shorter than a TD/Vickers release. Or maybe 0.01mm longer. Anyway it only took like five hours before I was 100% happy with it, and probably saved me like three bucks, so definitely worth it.
    The overwhelming consensus seems to be the Tango Down part, then, I see.

I have a Brownells gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so this is perfect.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But I note DocGKR prefers to dremel the Glock OEM extended to taste.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I prefer the TD/Vickers on both Gen3 and Gen4.
    +1 I think they hit the nail on the head with their design.

Another vote for the Vickers/TD. Just enough longer to add utility without being too long. Many IBOs and the smaller handed have found it useful, esp in the earlier Glocks. The mag release on the gen4s is much more agreeable to a wider range of folks.

User Tag List