Thread: Trouble gripping new M&p

Trouble gripping new M&p

I just picked up a NIB M&p full sized and i'm having problems gripping the gun. I have big hands and when i go to grip the pistol i am having to put my trigger finger so far into the trigger i'm pinching the flesh between my thumb and pointer finger with my trigger finger. I was hoping to back my finger out a little but it didn't work out too well. Damn finger is too long. I've tried the big grip insert and it didn't really help any. Do i need to adjust my support hand back a little? I've tried to do that but i'm having trouble being consistent and it doesn't really feel to natural. Anyone with any experience with this problem i would love your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidbattlecry View Post
    I just picked up a NIB M&p full sized and i'm having problems gripping the gun. I have big hands and when i go to grip the pistol i am having to put my trigger finger so far into the trigger i'm pinching the flesh between my thumb and pointer finger with my trigger finger. I was hoping to back my finger out a little but it didn't work out too well. Damn finger is too long. I've tried the big grip insert and it didn't really help any. Do i need to adjust my support hand back a little? I've tried to do that but i'm having trouble being consistent and it doesn't really feel to natural. Anyone with any experience with this problem i would love your help.
    Boy your fingers must be really long. I have humongus hands as TGS and Baihu can attest to. My goto M&P is the 45 with the large grip and it's just right to maybe a tad too large since I need to shift my grip a smiggin to reliably drop the Mag. My Son has a M&P9 Pro that he uses the Med grip on and while I would like the Large insert better I can handle the gun fine.

Maybe you can post some pictures of your grip so we can better understand your issues.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Thanks for replying to my rambling post lol. After thinking about it a bit i can sum it up better. My fingers feel like they are too long for the gun. And the new stock trigger is really heavy. I has to be more then the 6-7 lbs i think it is. If i put more finger onto the trigger i end up pinching some skin of my other hand between my finger and the grip. To put less in is really hard because of the heavy trigger and i feel like i'm backing my finger out way to far to get comfortable. I have an apex kit on the way to see if it will lighten up the trigger enough to make it better to shoot. It not i'm going to have to let it go.

The Apex kit will do alot toward lowering that trigger wieght. While with my and my other son's M&P45 it made some differance but not alot (we got the duty/carry kit not the competition), my son's M&P9 pro felt like you hit an abrupt wall when it engaged the striker block. The stricker block that comes with the APEX kit really takes care of that problem.

As a long time revolver shooter shooting DA only, I routinely put more of my trigger finger on the trigger, past the first joint almost to the second. While rarely from time to time I have pinched the pad of my trigger finger between the back of the tigger and the frame I can not "remember" ever pinching my support hand.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Bit of an update. I installed the apex hard sear and duty springs and got a whole new gun. I'm able to back my finger off comfortably and get a better grip on the gun. The trigger isn't about a 100lbs anymore so i can use the tip of my finger to work it.

Glad it worked out.
    Scott

User Tag List