Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best inexpensive red dot/reflex optic

Best inexpensive red dot/reflex optic

Ok so now that im running a shotgun with a lovely rail on top for home defense im interested in putting an optic on it, the thing is this isnt a high dollar ar so i dont want to run an aimpoint or eotech. are there any quality red dot or reflex style optics at a lower price point? this is only for in the house distance, so i dont need any magnifier options. any suggestions? thanks
    "It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

Quote Originally Posted by digiadaamore View Post
    Ok so now that im running a shotgun with a lovely rail on top for home defense im interested in putting an optic on it, the thing is this isnt a high dollar ar so i dont want to run an aimpoint or eotech. are there any quality red dot or reflex style optics at a lower price point? this is only for in the house distance, so i dont need any magnifier options. any suggestions? thanks
    My opinion is that your reasoning is ass-backwards. If your declared mission for the gun is home defense "in house" then it needs to be a real optic. Especially with the heavy recoil that shotguns dish out... they'll make mincemeat out of lesser optics.

I recommend the Aimpoint Micro. Some of the higher quality pistol optics would probably work really well too, like the RMR or DeltaPoint.

Dude... when you insert "home defense" as a category, it takes things to a whole different level.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    My opinion is that your reasoning is ass-backwards. If your declared mission for the gun is home defense "in house" then it needs to be a real optic.
    Massive +1.

I'll occasionally justify a lower-end optic on a range toy/practice gun like my M&P15/22, but if it's a gun I think I may ever use to play for keepsies, then I suck it up and pay the tariff.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Massive +1.

I'll occasionally justify a lower-end optic on a range toy/practice gun like my M&P15/22
    Agree.

I started running an RDS on a shotgun about 13 years ago. I have been through any that had a name worth mentioning. Some lasted a few months. Had one that lasted a few minutes. We have come a LONG way since then, and you can cry once when you shell out the cash for quality equipment that is up to the proposed task, or you can cry twice when you fork out some money, then fork it out again for the quality optic you shold have started with after the "save a few bucks" purchase loses it's virtues like a VOPN.

You get what you pay for when it comes to an RDS in this day and age. Expensive doesn't necessarily equate to "better", but in-expensive almost universally equates to "Epic pile of shit".

Certainly a 12 gauge is not in the realm of a .600 Nitro, but it still generates recoil energy. And a decent amount, which beats the snot out of an electronic optic. Only the top tier manufacturers have the intelligence, ability, technology, and "give a shit" to produce a device that will withstand repeated use on such a platform.

For a top rail, mounted to a shotgun.......there is one optic choice that makes any sense to me.

Aimpoint Micro.

Digi,

I'm looking around at various red dots for the same reasons. My firearm is not going to Afghanistan. While home defense is a life or death matter, my optic doesn't need to withstand the same abuse as one driving through IEDs. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

The two lower cost options I looked into were the Vortex Strikefire and SPARC, as I have a Vortex Diamondback that I think is an excellent scope......especially for the money.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards a used Aimpoint. They're just in another league, and not much more money (used) than most of the recreational grade red dots. If Aimpoints were really hard to get for some reason, then I'd buy a Vortex. They look really appealing with their price and decent quality, and the included 2x magnifier is a nice touch. While I don't need my optic to survive an IED or being felled upon on a rocky cliff, I do need it to work reliably. From what I'm reading, you have a very high chance with these lower cost options having electrical problems by 2 years of regular use. I guess this isn't bad if you treat your optics like disposable items, but I don't......and I'd rather not have it experience electrical gremlins when I need it. Even cheaper ones, such as the Bushnell TRS-25, are legitimate pieces of shit.

You really do get what you pay for, me thinks. If the cheaper red dots didn't have these traits, I'd feel better about purchasing them. Maybe I'll be able to convince myself they're a good buy, but at this point I'm leaning heavily towards a used Aimpoint. Buy once, cry once.

ETA: It's an unfortunate truth, but quality optics do tend to cost as much as the gun itself.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Another plus to running a quality optic is that you can usually leave it turned on all the time and the battery will still last for years before needing replacement. Why worry about having to switch on the red dot in an HD scenario when you (or your wife/GF) don't need to?

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Some of the higher quality pistol optics would probably work really well too, like the RMR or DeltaPoint.
    I was looking into these for my shotty, as well.

With pistols, shooters often complain about the small window/box that your eye has to be within to see the dot. Is this still a problem when placed on a long arm?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

^ Agree w/ the above posts, I'd buy at least an Aimpoint PRO

imho: The above mentioned products are not because of the "have to be brand name" reason. Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon are mentioned & recommended because of their proven track record. I agree with the "Buy Once Cry Once". Crap happens when you least expect it & want it. Lifes to short to depend on "unproven". I'll pay a little extra to know Im GTG.

"To each their own"

Who recommended an EOTech?

Come on..........fess up............

User Tag List