Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low light shooting

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    A WML is swell, but is one of those things to consider whether or not it's too much on a CCW.
    Definitely. I am going to try to use my OWB WML compatible holster more often now, but I have been carrying in the appendix position a lot lately and would need a new holster to accommodate that if I decide this is something to worry about long term. It is also a lot of bulk inside the waistband to be working with. As the winter sets in to thaw and summer comes around, too, I do not envision having the clothing options to carry a gun that can accept a WML.

Without getting too in-depth. Ask yourself what you are trying to attain. Different tools and techniques are better for different phases of the shooting equation. Are you trying to illuminate your environment, trying to search for threats, trying to asses threats, trying to shoot threats while illuminated, etc. Everything is give and take in the low light world. Putting a light on your gun will help with one part and is lacking in others. You can also get yourself in a ton of trouble if used improperly.

In regards to Harries....from what I have seen, it is often taught wrong and often improperly used.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

WML's on the AR's. Harries and Rogers for the handguns. Harries technique is hell on the shoulders though.

I've got an "O" ring arrangement on my Gladius ala' Tiger McKee. I like the configuration. Neat and clean.

Attachment 1306
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    In regards to Harries....from what I have seen, it is often taught wrong and often improperly used.
    Would you mind expanding on this a bit?
    I just did a short low light class with Bank Miller and am sorting through the options we worked on. He taught us Harries and a modified version with the gun hand more on top of the WH wrist that seemed to work well also, but it was a short class and only got to work with them briefly.
    I found myself most often defaulting to Harries or the FBI, but need to work them in dry fire.
    I also discovered some shortcomings with my EDC light (Fenix LD10). It's bright enough, but lacks a momentary switch, the small size made it difficult to recover when tucked under an arm or the chin for manipulations, and the switch is almost impossible to hit with the Rogers technique. I've got a 2xCR123 sized light on the way to see if that works better.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    ... the small size made it difficult to recover when tucked under an arm or the chin for manipulations...
    If the light is small enough, try just keeping it in your support hand. I can easily do reloads (in the dark, on the move, under stress) while keeping my Foursevens 1-cell Quark Tactical in my hand. I wrap my pinky and ring finger around the light and use my middle, index, and thumb to handle the magazine.

While I can clear a malf that way, it's awkward and not something I'd want to count on under less than ideal conditions particularly if my hands or the gun was wet. I'll tap-rack using my SHO technique. If that doesn't solve the problem, then getting someplace that will give me the time for a more involved procedure is the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If the light is small enough, try just keeping it in your support hand. I can easily do reloads (in the dark, on the move, under stress) while keeping my Foursevens 1-cell Quark Tactical in my hand. I wrap my pinky and ring finger around the light and use my middle, index, and thumb to handle the magazine.

While I can clear a malf that way, it's awkward and not something I'd want to count on under less than ideal conditions particularly if my hands or the gun was wet. I'll tap-rack using my SHO technique. If that doesn't solve the problem, then getting someplace that will give me the time for a more involved procedure is the priority.
    Knew I should have asked before buying another light

I have added a thick rubber band to my daily carry pocket light. The band keeps the light more securely in my pocket of pants with shallower pockets, keeps the light from rolling off tables, and most importantly makes it a lot easier to use with the Rogers technique.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have added a thick rubber band to my daily carry pocket light. The band keeps the light more securely in my pocket of pants with shallower pockets, keeps the light from rolling off tables, and most importantly makes it a lot easier to use with the Rogers technique.

Excellent, since that's the light I have on the way.
    Last edited by NickA; 02-05-2013 at 12:45 PM.

PS, on the Quark TLG uses. If the switch sensitivity on my Quark is typical, it is almost impossible to do the Rogers method with. While the Streamlight Pro Tac is essentially the same size, the switch sensitivity is very different, and conducive to the Rogers method.

We are diminished
    True. I'm not a huge fan of the Rogers technique, thus the light's incompatibility isn't an issue for me.

User Tag List