Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Police street fight"

Funny, I read through this thread yesterday and this morning youtube recommended I watch this relevant video of citizens helping to subdue a guy an officer was struggling with.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycrops View Post
    Funny, I read through this thread yesterday and this morning youtube recommended I watch this relevant video of citizens helping to subdue a guy an officer was struggling with.
    Kudos to the helpful citizens.

That officer needs to re-take "Handcuffing 101".
    The suspect appears to have been submitting until he encountered the officers lack of skill with the bracelets.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Cycrops View Post
    The suspect in this one pretty clearly has solid wrestling experience. It very likely could have gone bad if the citizens didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpthestack View Post
    The suspect in this one pretty clearly has solid wrestling experience. It very likely could have gone bad if the citizens didn't help.
    Looked more like backyard bum fight experience than "solid wrestling experience" to me.
    His takedown was all muscle, very little technique and he didnt appear to have any real ground game.
    Unfortunately the cop was even worse. As soon as he walked in he looked soft.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Honest questions... if you were to want to help an officer...

1. What do you say to let him know you are trying to help?
    2. How quick do you think those other folks would have jumped in and made the situation worse for the officer and potential helper?
    Get on the phone with 911, tell them what, where, who the bad guy is & what he's wearing, who you are and what you are wearing, and keep up a running commentary for the dispatcher as to the action.

If it looks like the cop needs help, tell the dispatcher the cop needs help, and ask the cop if he wants help.

You can't control what dispatch tells the people coming to the scene and how they respond to the action, but you can hopefully notch things your way by getting info to dispatch clearly, early and effectively.

Even if you are arrested afterwards, the 911 call & the cop resolves it rather quickly.

I intervened in a similar situation last year. I was doing electrical work in front of the Apollo Theater at about 0300 hrs when I saw a officer in a foot pursuit catch a suspect and was wresting with the suspect on the sidewalk. I ran over grabbed the perps arm and stomped his head into the sidewalk with my boot. My stomp took the fight out of the perp and the officer was able to cuff him. Other officers soon arrived and I went on my merry way. The officers didn't even ask my name which I was very happy.

One of my early career foot pursuits through a downtown area was ended by a picture perfect hockey shoulder check into the glass. No more running after that. It was a beautiful sight, and I never got that dude's name either...

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    As soon as he walked in he looked soft.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    My first thought....scrotes live their whole life sizing people up.

As to helping out a cop in a fight....Just yell "stop resisting" really loud and he will assume you are a cop too

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Having been a career COP, I guess I see this a little differently. I really didn't see any time when that COP wasn't in control of that scuffle. Being in "hostile" territory, he didn't want to escalate his use of force unless it was really necessary. Been there - done that. Had it been a more secluded spot - that would have been over in seconds.

The POS he was arresting was doing a lot more "resisting" than "assaulting" and had it been necessary, that COP looked more than capable of administering another level or force had it been required.

It was worth watching just to see that mouthy female get hooked up.
    I have to strongly disagree with the resist vs fighting bit, he tried to punch the copper in the head several times, that he sucked at doing so doesn't matter, intent was there. Had he gotten a lucky shot in the cop would have been in very deep trouble.

This is a classic case, IMHO, of task fixation, and a perfect example of not staying on the ground when one can disengage and go to OC or Taser. I would have gone straight to OC in this situation, and I have a number of times, because the cloud tends to make everyone in the area back off while also disabling the bad guy.

Mouthy bitch would have gone to jail as well, and maybe a few of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrlcop View Post
    As to helping out a cop in a fight....Just yell "stop resisting" really loud and he will assume you are a cop too
    Genius!

User Tag List