Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buck list: A2 Colt. 600 yards - 10" grouping..or less..

Quote Originally Posted by ezthumper View Post
    True, the more you learn the less you really know. Granted, my skills are somewhat up to snuff if pressed, but no where near any sort of comp level, in which I am not interested in.
    Well, your goal of 10" at 600 yards is most certainly comp level. Extremely good comp level, at that. None of the instructors at my NRA High Power Service Rifle clinic could do that, if we're talking prone with a sling and a service rifle.

So now I need to add equipment to the AR to bring it up to a point where it helps me acquire my target and achieve the goal or get lasik surgery.
    I guess you're on track with getting the flat-top receiver then, so you can properly mount a scope. I'm not sure what size silhouette you were shooting, but a rack grade AR15 should be capable of hitting a human silhouette at 500 all day. So, not knowing what size silhouette you were shooting, I'm still going to danger that any further spending would be better spent on training after you put on the scope and FF tube as that should be a pretty capable platform to start with. When you get 9/10 or 10/10 hits on the target you were previously getting 2/5 on, then it'd be time to start looking at further upgrades to the AR15 itself.

Maybe it is my unsophisticated approach, and maybe I have presented this to the community all wrong. But has any one here, tried to do something with minimal tools...just to see if you can? Like shooting a pencil in half or shoot a nickle, from 50 to 100 yards with a .22 using open sights? Or ever been grounded for shooting your moms thimbles off the fence? Out with your buddies shooting those little balls from the ball pit at Chuckey Cheeses floating down a river......just to do it?
    Sure. I think an honest assessment is in order, however. The goal you set is a realistic goal, but it's going to take some real investment on your part in terms of training and the rifle. For 10" at 600 yards, you're definitely going to need a match grade barrel. If you're talking about doing this in the prone with a sling, you're also going to need a nice quality sling (I have a Turner's that I love), decent shooting mat, and a high quality stiff competition shooting jacket. If you're not looking to do this in traditional position shooting, and instead from a bench....then that will cut out quite a bit of the skill and specialized equipment necessary. Either way, it's still quite a bit more involved than shooting Chucky Cheese balls in a river.

Like everyone has said, it's definitely a goal you can accomplish. My input is that you still need to do an honest assessment of what you're actually willing to put in in order to accomplish it. We talking lots and lots of hours practicing to be perfect...not just practicing to do well or just shooting something for fun "just to do it."
    Last edited by TGS; 02-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Aside from what's already been suggested, you might find some of Glen Zediker's material useful.

http://zediker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, your goal of 10" at 600 yards is most certainly comp level. Extremely good comp level, at that. None of the instructors at my NRA High Power Service Rifle clinic could do that, if we're talking prone with a sling and a service rifle.
    Yes, prone with sling. (I can take naps during break time)

I guess you're on track with getting the flat-top receiver then, so you can properly mount a scope. I'm not sure what size silhouette you were shooting, but a rack grade AR15 should be capable of hitting a human silhouette at 500 all day. So, not knowing what size silhouette you were shooting, I'm still going to danger that any further spending would be better spent on training after you put on the scope and FF tube as that should be a pretty capable platform to start with. When you get 9/10 or 10/10 hits on the target you were previously getting 2/5 on, then it'd be time to start looking at further upgrades to the AR15 itself.
    Man sized silhouette, with the standard AR, 5.56 55 grain ball, standard open sites. Triangle fore arm. Mil issue sling. The 2/5 hits were lucky. But I do know I have to upgrade the weapon, and so far everyone here has given me great direction.

Sure. I think an honest assessment is in order, however. The goal you set is a realistic goal, but it's going to take some real investment on your part in terms of training and the rifle. For 10" at 600 yards, you're definitely going to need a match grade barrel. If you're talking about doing this in the prone with a sling, you're also going to need a nice quality sling (I have a Turner's that I love), decent shooting mat, and a high quality stiff competition shooting jacket. If you're not looking to do this in traditional position shooting, and instead from a bench....then that will cut out quite a bit of the skill and specialized equipment necessary.
    I looked up the Turner Sling on Turner Saddlery, and they seem very reasonable, are you using the NM All weather? Or the Police Tactical?

Any way, yeah the mat would have been a better idea, got wet the other day, and again, it serves as a good nap mat. Dual purpose. But the Bench, I have had no use for it, I don't look at it as cheating, just is not comfortable, and it makes wonder if I am truly practicing marksmanship while sitting there.

Either way, it's still quite a bit more involved than shooting Chucky Cheese balls in a river.
    lol, Hey, you should give it go on the Truckee River in the white water...it moves pretty quick. It is all about perspective.

Like everyone has said, it's definitely a goal you can accomplish. My input is that you still need to do an honest assessment of what you're actually willing to put in in order to accomplish it. We talking lots and lots of hours practicing to be perfect...not just practicing to do well or just shooting something for fun "just to do it."
    Practicing to be perfect..is the fun part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Aside from what's already been suggested, you might find some of Glen Zediker's material useful.http://zediker.com/
    Yes thank you, it has lead me into other avenues also..

I looked up the Turner Sling on Turner Saddlery, and they seem very reasonable, are you using the NM All weather? Or the Police Tactical?
    I bought the regular NM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

As far as slings go a standard GI cotten web sling works great and is really all you will need. Scroll to the end of the link for how to properly sling.

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    As far as slings go a standard GI cotten web sling works great and is really all you will need. Scroll to the end of the link for how to properly sling.

Ahh very good, that might work a bit better. I do now have time to do this properly, verses not knowing how long I am going to be engaging the target.

I did the wrap the sling around the elbow kind of maneuver.

The GI cotton sling is certainly cheaper but IMO is much harder to adjust and to keep adjusted the same way each time you sling up. As far as 1907 patter slings go the Turner is a good sling, but for the same money you can buy a custom one from Ron Brown (http://servicerifleslings.com). Ron will work with you to figure out the length you need plus you get to select what color leather you want plus what type if hardware. His craftsmanship is top noch and from what I can tell uses higher quality materials than Turner.

User Tag List