Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buck list: A2 Colt. 600 yards - 10" grouping..or less..

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Keep us updated.
    Yes, definitely keep us updated. I think you are going to enjoy this project.

Quote Originally Posted by ezthumper View Post
    Now, that I am older, and that I am a bit obsessive, I want to now try to get a nice grouping at at 600 yards with my A2. It is like one of the bucket list things.

My eye sight is not what it used to be, and I want to put in a grouping with in a 10" diam circle.

-So looking for input for a decent scope that allows me to adjust on the fly.

-Trying to figure out if the 1/7 twist is bad for the 55 grain or do I need to jump up to a 72 grain.

Your response is appreciated:
    It's very much possible, but your gun as it is probably isn't up to it by other than dumb luck. You'll want (very likely *need*) a float tube. If you don't mind a "modern" railed tube, there's your answer. If you want it to be more A2-styled, look at the "service rifle" (read: "stock car" version of an M16A2) float tubes that highpower shooters use. You'll also probably need a good barrel--good doesn't have to mean Krieger/Brux/Bartlein/etc, but it's (almost certainly) going to require better than a standard A2 barrel that comes on most factory guns. (http://whiteoakarmament.com/ and http://keystoneaccuracy.com/ have darn good barrels in the $200-250 range that I can recommend. I've shot the $200 Wilson 1:7s from WOA in my service rifle for years, going through about a half dozen of them, and they've all been good enough to hold the X-ring at 600)

Once you've got a good barrel and float tube and good ammo (a 77gr match bullet of your choice if you want to stay at mag length, 80s are an option if you don't mind single-loading) the gun should be more than capable of holding the X-ring at 600. (The X-ring on the 600 yard target is 6") The AR in service rifle form isn't easy to hold the X-ring with, and the post sight is only part of that reason. (I've shot more than a few 100-10X strings with my bolt guns, but the best I've managed with the service rifle is a 100-8X.)

Using a scope will make it easier, but even with a rest/bipod (to say nothing of using only a sling for support) the actual shooting portion will be the limiting factor, not the equipment (once upgraded somewhat) or the sights.

I've seen some of the AMU (army) and Marine service rifle team shooters shoot not much bigger than 10" groups for 30-45+ shots at 600 in 50 seconds. (head and torso silhouette targets exposed for 50 seconds, the best shooters are putting 35+ shots on target, with no more than a miss or two, and usually none) Sometimes those groups are absolutely tiny.

Another suggestion is to check out an F-class match. (go for "mid range" rather than long range, if possible, if you're shooting an AR) Yeah, it's not exactly informal, but folks are usually quite helpful, and you'll learn a lot about shooting at itty-bitty targets at distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    It's very much possible, but your gun as it is probably isn't up to it by other than dumb luck. You'll want (very likely *need*) a float tube. If you don't mind a "modern" railed tube, there's your answer. If you want it to be more A2-styled, look at the "service rifle" (read: "stock car" version of an M16A2) float tubes that highpower shooters use. You'll also probably need a good barrel--good doesn't have to mean Krieger/Brux/Bartlein/etc, but it's (almost certainly) going to require better than a standard A2 barrel that comes on most factory guns. (http://whiteoakarmament.com/ and http://keystoneaccuracy.com/ have darn good barrels in the $200-250 range that I can recommend. I've shot the $200 Wilson 1:7s from WOA in my service rifle for years, going through about a half dozen of them, and they've all been good enough to hold the X-ring at 600)
    Great lead on the barrels thank you, and an upper also that might work. As far the "look" I am not all to concerned about it, I carry a lego gun, so aesthetics is pretty much not on my priority list. After chasing down some leads you and TGS posted, this rifle of mine is going to have a brand new look, literally.

Once you've got a good barrel and float tube and good ammo (a 77gr match bullet of your choice if you want to stay at mag length, 80s are an option if you don't mind single-loading) the gun should be more than capable of holding the X-ring at 600. (The X-ring on the 600 yard target is 6") The AR in service rifle form isn't easy to hold the X-ring with, and the post sight is only part of that reason. (I've shot more than a few 100-10X strings with my bolt guns, but the best I've managed with the service rifle is a 100-8X.)
    Outstanding, you just set my first goal.

Using a scope will make it easier, but even with a rest/bipod (to say nothing of using only a sling for support) the actual shooting portion will be the limiting factor, not the equipment (once upgraded somewhat) or the sights.
    Agreed.

I've seen some of the AMU (army) and Marine service rifle team shooters shoot not much bigger than 10" groups for 30-45+ shots at 600 in 50 seconds. (head and torso silhouette targets exposed for 50 seconds, the best shooters are putting 35+ shots on target, with no more than a miss or two, and usually none) Sometimes those groups are absolutely tiny.
    Yeah, some of those guys are amazing. Our competition was a bit different. It was more of an inner-branch competition and we had to run, drop, sling, acquire, engage and move again. So I never really got the opportunity to really focus on maxing out my equipment. It got me out of humping the missile fields in North Dakota for several months, so that was nice.

Another suggestion is to check out an F-class match. (go for "mid range" rather than long range, if possible, if you're shooting an AR) Yeah, it's not exactly informal, but folks are usually quite helpful, and you'll learn a lot about shooting at itty-bitty targets at distance.
    That is actually a fantastic idea.

The 10 ring on an NRA MR-1 target (600 yard slow fire prone rifle target) is about 12" across. It's certainly doable with the right gun and assuming the shooter does their part. The two biggest things I would recommend are a free float tube and a good service rifle sling.

Quote Originally Posted by HCL3 View Post
    The 10 ring on an NRA MR-1 target (600 yard slow fire prone rifle target) is about 12" across. It's certainly doable with the right gun and assuming the shooter does their part. The two biggest things I would recommend are a free float tube and a good service rifle sling.
    Yep, got the parts to free float the barrel, and then after someone made a suggestion about something else, I ended up spending more money.

So a small update:

My wife suggested we go out to the range for my birthday, and feeling a bit Eeyore, I figure why not, the smell of cordite usually makes me feel better, so off to the gun cabinet to look at what I want to shoot. I got to thinking, you know, why the hell not, I have not done anything with the weapon as of yet, so it would be a great time to set a base line. I grab my old girl out of the cabinet and turn around and my wife is stuffing pistols, magazines, ammo for a small war and lots of masking tape to plug the holes. (She grabbed the 19c, 586 S&W and the 1911, looking for a little variety I suppose.)

I get out to the site, get sorted and it starts to rain, I just look up and say it figures, get in position and make sure that I am clear to fire the weapon. My wife sitting in the burb is spotting for me, and she gives me the clear.

I open up slow firing, and I can here her say "close babe", "ooh almost"..."good job". At first I was wondering if she was messing with me about "something else" or was I really hitting the the silhouette. After about 5 rounds I turn around and ask how many hit the target, She paused and said "Um, you were trying to hit the target? I thought you trying to get close, hun, you may act like a kid, your body is telling you something completely different, now get you ass in the truck and take me down to the pistol range, you hit it twice."

I actually hit 2 out of 5. low and to the right of the silhouette. Open sites. Stock weapon. 55 grain FMJ Federals.

Now I am going to replace the upper to go with a flat top, add a cheek piece, float the barrel. And use the 77 grain SKS that was suggested earlier ITT.

What's the cheek piece for?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What's the cheek piece for?
    Dunno, my buddy gave me that because he thought he was helping...so, I said thank you, and put in my stuff pile.

My suggestion would be to take a class from a long range shooter who has experience with the AR platform before spending any money.

It will probably save you money in the long run.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    My suggestion would be to take a class from a long range shooter who has experience with the AR platform before spending any money.
    Agree with this and depending on where in Houston you are located there are several high power clubs and shoots in the area. These guys are generally friendly and very helpful shooters new to the high power game. They can help you accomplish your goal.

Here is just one group: Bayou Rifles in Bellaire. There are others and google will find them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

It will probably save you money in the long run.
    True, the more you learn the less you really know. Granted, my skills are somewhat up to snuff if pressed, but no where near any sort of comp level, in which I am not interested in. As far as the money, I do see your point, however, it is not the issue. If was out to just hit the target, then I would just send a $5 bullet down range and call it a day. Trying to do this in a more of a minimalistic method.....to a point. So now I need to add equipment to the AR to bring it up to a point where it helps me acquire my target and achieve the goal or get lasik surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    Agree with this and depending on where in Houston you are located there are several high power clubs and shoots in the area. These guys are generally friendly and very helpful shooters new to the high power game. They can help you accomplish your goal.

Here is just one group: Bayou Rifles in Bellaire. There are others and google will find them for you.
    Thank you for the link, and that just opened up to something new for me. The current range I go to only sits at 600 yards, but it is nice, and very nice folks. I will give that a go.

Maybe it is my unsophisticated approach, and maybe I have presented this to the community all wrong. But has any one here, tried to do something with minimal tools...just to see if you can? Like shooting a pencil in half or shoot a nickle, from 50 to 100 yards with a .22 using open sights? Or ever been grounded for shooting your moms thimbles off the fence? Out with your buddies shooting those little balls from the ball pit at Chuckey Cheeses floating down a river......just to do it?

User Tag List