Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 62: El Presidente

Week 62: El Presidente

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 62: El Presidente
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 04-February-2013.

Range: 10 yds
    Target: IPSC A-Zones or 8" circles (short bus version will use 3x5 cards)
    Start position: concealed
    Rounds fired: 12

Here is a link to the USPSA description of the drill: www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-11.pdf

Set three targets at the 10 yd line. Space them 1 yd apart, each approximately at chest height. Note--if you shoot at a pansy range that will not let you set multiple targets, you may alternatively use three 3x5 cards oriented vertically and spread horizontally as far apart as possible on your target holder, as shown below:

Name:  short bus el prez.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  14.8 KB

Face away from the targets with the hands held above the shoulders. On the start signal, turn and fire two rounds at each of the targets, perform a reload, and re-engage the each of the three targets with two rounds.

For purposes of this drill, any hits to the C-zone will add 2 sec to to your time; any hits to the D-zone or a full miss adds 10 sec to your time (there is no C-zone on a 3x5 card, so it is either a hit or a miss with the short bus version of the drill...).

Here is a link to Robert Vogel running the drill in 4.61 sec, but he gets a C, bumping his score to 6.61 sec: http://s459.beta.photobucket.com/use...e7fa2.mp4.html.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • Start position (pistol, holster type, concealment).
    • Target used.
    • Total time to complete the drill, number of hits to the A-zone, adjusted score with any penalties.

Note, if you need an IPSC A-zone, feel free to download this one and print on legal paper (8.5x14): http://pistol-forum.com/attachment.p...8&d=1347302460. You can also use the 8" circle on the FAST target here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ast-target.pdf, also printed on legal paper (8.5x14).

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Doc. Should the first string be engaged left to right would it not be appropriate to engage the second right to left or visa versa?

Vogel recommends shooting both strings L to R, for right hand shooters: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...AR-01-Nov-2012. Also check the linked video of him doing just that: http://s459.beta.photobucket.com/use...e7fa2.mp4.html.

The Vogel El Prez vid is really slick. I've long heard the advice that one's splits and transition between targets should be the same and you can hear that in the vid. I've not managed to figure that out yet.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    short bus version)
    Doc, I appreciate you always having a "short bus version" of these drills. I hope to fix the lack of grown-up ranges in my AO by moving out of SoFla, but in the meanwhile this makes it possible for me to participate.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The Vogel El Prez vid is really slick. I've long heard the advice that one's splits and transition between targets should be the same and you can hear that in the vid. I've not managed to figure that out yet.
    The Blake Drill is really helpful for this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I shall search for that. Thanks!

edit - ah found it straight away in Ben Stoeger's book Champion Shooting. I just needed to read a couple more pages.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

G17 w/grip cut for G19 mags mounting an RMR06 and carried AIWB in a Fricke Seraphim concealed under an un-tucked long sleeve shirt and TNF vest firing Fed AE9FP 147 gr FMJ.

Shot on an IPSC A-zone target.

8.63 sec clean, with all A-zone hits.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Cant seem to find it. Can you maybe point me in a direction?
    "One mind, Any weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut View Post
    Cant seem to find it. Can you maybe point me in a direction?
    Ben Stoeger's latest book explains it well. Basically it's a cadence drill - slow your splits to match your transistions and then gradually ramp them both up. So, if you have .20 splits and .40 transitions slow your splits down (It helps me to count out loud) until you are shooting everything at .40 (or really close) then gradually speed up until you can shoot .20 splits and transitions.

User Tag List