Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Barrel Choice - 18" DD or MK12 ???

AR Barrel Choice - 18" DD or MK12 ???

Wanting to build a long range upper, and it will definitely have an 18" tube on it. Two options I am looking at are the 18" DD CM barrel, CHF, Chrome Lined and the Centurion Arms MK12, SS Barrel (Made by the same Co. who makes the MK12 Barrel for the Military). I probably would never shoot out the SS Barrel, but I do like the fact that the DD Barrel comes with Chrome Lining (with the result probably being a lesser degree of accuracy).

Anyone here have experience with either of these - good or bad?

No experience but for long range with the options listed I would only look at the Centurion Arms. Their 18" barrels come up in almost all of these conversations and anyone who matters suggests them.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

No experience with the DD 18", but I have the Centurion Arms MK 12 Mod 1 upper to my left as we speak. Monty built it for me a few years ago and it was worth every penny. It's been extremely accurate with BHA and Prvi 75's.

You should just have Monty build you a MK 12 upper, buy a NF 2.5-10x32 and call it a day.

Met Monty at SHOT, and was really leaning that way, but I hate to start any build with only one option. I will be using his new rail for sure - it IS the shit.

If you want more options, you should contact Wes Grant at MSTN.

Not sure what he's got in stock at the moment, but he's built me about a dozen uppers over the last 5 years.

Be prepared to pay the same or more than an upper from Centurion Arms, however.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    If you want more options, you should contact Wes Grant at MSTN.
    I am cool with Centurion for sure ... just didn't want to sound like I had made up my mind while still asking for input.

You met the right guy for the job. I use a lot of Monty's stuff, and did a review of his MK12 and MK12K (which I REALLY liked). For a AR precision system, the only two I would really look at would be one of Monty's guns or a LaRue OBR or Stealth in 5.56. I have become very good friends with Monty over the years, so I am biased, but I started out as a customer.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

How does someone get one of these top ends from Monty -- just call him up?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How does someone get one of these top ends from Monty -- just call him up?
    http://www.centurionarms.net/index.p...art&Itemid=138

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    buy a NF 2.5-10x32 and call it a day.
    I think I will probably end up with a Leupold CQBSS 1.1-8 when all is said and done.

User Tag List