Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help installing glock sights.

Help installing glock sights.

I have a G26 I'm trying to install a set of trijicon HD on. I have the factory glock sight pusher but it isn't working out. The rear will barely slide in the dovetail at all by hand and gets extremely hard with the pusher before it even gets halfway. I tried barely taking a file to one side of the dovetail on the sight hoping to make it fit better but Im afraid of taking too much. This is my first go at installing sights and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Site Supporter
    When fitting sights, you normally file from the bottom of the sight, not on the side/dovetail angles.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    When fitting sights, you normally file from the bottom of the sight, not on the side/dovetail angles.
    How would that make the fit looser exactly?

Site Supporter
    Dovetails flare out, when you trim the height you're reducing the maximum outward fare.

For example, the sight may be .250" wide when you're at the very bottom, but if you come UP from the bottom of the sight, just a little, it might be .245".

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Dovetails flare out, when you trim the height you're reducing the maximum outward fare.

For example, the sight may be .250" wide when you're at the very bottom, but if you come UP from the bottom of the sight, just a little, it might be .245".
    Ok I see. How tight should the sight fit in the slide?

Site Supporter
    You shouldn't be able to push it in with just your fingers, but if you were using a hammer and a punch - you shouldn't have to pound it in. So .... make it snug.

Clean and lube the dovetail, clean and lube the bottom of the sight and go slow. I have installed many and some like the Ameriglo's are very tight.
    Last edited by JBP55; 01-24-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've had to file every rear sight i've ever installed. Ameriglo's are tight for sure. I file untill I can get 1/3 to 1/2 way in by hand.

I have installed or adjusted several hundred and can not remember the last time I put a file to one but I do keep a file in my gun box just in case.

I installed some HDs on a G19 recently. File a bit, check the fit, file a little more, check the fit, repeat till you can get it about halfway by hand. Should be a piece of cake with a sight pusher from there. I was able to tap mine in with a nylon punch, no problem. And I LOVE the HDs!

User Tag List