Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5.45x39 in an AR...

Twist rate also comes into play. Iirc, the AK74 has a 1in8 twist, while the short barrel guns like the AKSU have a 1-in-6 twist. I know BlueJack did a limited run of 5.45mm AR barrels with the correct twist and groove pattern a while back, but they're hard to find.

That was an awesome article, LL!

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    That was an awesome article, LL!

Nice work.
    I'll take that compliment and thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    #RESIST

With the current ammo situation and the discovery of gunbot.net and wikiarms.com, 5.45 is becoming more appealing to me. I'm having a hard time finding uppers for this caliber for sale (obviously finding them in stock is another issue). The S&W website indicates their 5.45 upper is no longer in production.

Here are the options that I've found thus far:
    Spikes
    Model 1
    Adam Arms Piston
    Huldra Arms Piston

Anyone know of any decent manufactures that are making 5.45 uppers? Spikes is the only one in the list above that looks decent.

I'd go Spike's then Huldra.
    #RESIST

I picked up one of the Spike's 5.45 uppers a few months ago when they were in-stock at AIM and I'm still waiting to see how it will be long term. I've put about 400 rounds through it in 3 range trips and, right around the 100th round I had a pretty spectacularly stuck case. I'm hoping it proves to be a fluke.

When shooting, the rifle feels like my 5.56 guns except for the slightly heavier trigger pull and, really, the weight from the heavy hammer spring is only going to be an issue if you're used to doing all of your shooting with hair weight set triggers. Hosing it out with water after each range trip is a bit of a pain but, so long as you follow LL's instructions on that, you're shooting a centerfire AR for $0.18 a round during a panic and not dealing with any corrosion issues. It's absolutely worth the hassle.

Agree that its worth the squeeze. I have been following LLs progress with the caliber in an AR for awhile on M4C and picked up a s&w, adams, and spikes. The Adams upper has been the most problematic. I cant pinpoint any specific besides its just flat our inconsistent with reliability.
    If I was starting from scratch, I would get one of the BA barrels and have an upper built. RCA stated they would begin production on 5.45 bolts at some point as well.
    Mags are all ASC with 3 of the modded window PMAGS which work fine if your into cutting up followers...I would rather just have the ASCs.
    I have been using the S&W so often now with no issues, I put my SD-C trigger in it and the stiffer spring on it works great. No light primer strikes; its a bit like putting a silk hat on a pig but I actually might stick to the round since its still pouring in at an affordable price. USAC just updated stock this morning.

With the ASC mags being available (even in these times), I see no need to modify other mags.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Nice article.

In regards to magazines, I personally replaced the weak, short springs with cut-down AK-74 mag springs. This has increased reliability. No I did not cannibalize actual AK-74 mags, I contacted a vendor and they sent me some springs.
    During classes, I have had mag issues I thought were attributable to weak springs.

Would using Wolff power springs for AR15 have the same result instead of cutting down AK 74 mags?

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...2&mID=1&dID=79

I need to disassemble the ASC mags to check and compare spring length 5.45 vs 5.56.

They have extra power AK74 mag springs also.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...&cID=2&mID=141

I really regret not purchasing a S&W M&P 15 in 5.45x39 when they became available in 2008/2009. LL's 5.45 AR performed very well at a KD class a few years ago at USTC, and it (with the ASC mags) had no issues during this course.

User Tag List