Thread: Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns

Site Supporter

Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns

Article: http://washingtonexaminer.com/utah-s...rticle/2519176
    Posted to the Washing (UT) County Sheriffs web site: https://news.washeriff.net/open-lett...-barack-obama/
    UT Sheriffs Association Letter to POTUS in PDF: http://www.utahsheriffs.org/USA-Home...t%20Letter.pdf

Full Text (Public Domain)
    UTAH SHERIFFS’ ASSOCIATION

P.O. Box 787
    East Carbon City, Utah 84520
    (435) 888-2004
    Fax: (435) 888-0842

7 January 2013

The Honorable Barack Obama
    President of the United States of America
    The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20500

Dear President Obama:

We, the elected sheriffs of Utah, like so many of our fellow Americans, are literally
    heartbroken for the loved ones of the murdered victims in Connecticut. As Utahans, we are
    not strangers to this kind of carnage—-one of the latest being the 2007 Trolley Square murders
    wherein nine innocents were gunned down-five losing their lives.

We also recognize the scores of other recent domestic massacres, which have decimated
    countless honorable lives. As Americans, we value the sanctity of life. Furthermore, similar to
    our inspired Founders, we acknowledge our subservience to a higher power.

With the number of mass shootings America has endured, it is easy to demonize firearms; it is
    also foolish and prejudiced. Firearms are nothing more than instruments, valuable and
    potentially dangerous, but instruments nonetheless. Malevolent souls, like the criminals who
    commit mass murders, will always exploit valuable instruments in the pursuit of evil. As
    professional peace officers, if we understand nothing else, we understand this: lawful violence
    must sometimes be employed to deter and stop criminal violence. Consequently, the citizenry
    must continue its ability to keep and bear arms, including arms that adequately protect them
    from all types of illegality.

As your administration and Congress continue to grapple with the complex issue of firearm
    regulations, we pray that the Almighty will guide the People’s Representatives collectively.
    For that reason, it is imperative this discussion be had in Congress, not silenced unilaterally
    by executive orders. As you deliberate, please remember the Founders of this great nation
    created the Constitution, and its accompanying Bill of Rights, in an effort to protect citizens
    from all forms of tyrannical subjugation.

We respect the Office of the President of the United States of America. But, make no mistake,
    as the duly-elected sheriffs of our respective counties, we will enforce the rights guaranteed to
    our citizens by the Constitution. No federal official will be permitted to descend upon our
    constituents and take from them what the Bill of Rights-in particular Amendment II-has
    given them. We, like you, swore a solemn oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the
    United States, and we are prepared to trade our lives for the preservation of its traditional
    interpretation.

The Utah Sheriffs’ Association
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Wow.
    And, if I recall my history correctly Utah is currently 1 - 0 over the Federal government......

Every county sheriff, except the Salt Lake County Sheriff, signed the letter.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

That is pretty amazing.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

That is bad ass.

I found the title of the article "Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns" misleading. The Sheriffs did not threaten any violence, only that they would stand behind the citizens of their county.

The Sheriff of our county is very pro-gun. While he was a deputy he taught concealed carry classes.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I found the title of the article "Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns" misleading. The Sheriffs did not threaten any violence, only that they would stand behind the citizens of their county.

The Sheriff of our county is very pro-gun. While he was a deputy he taught concealed carry classes.
    Yeah.. I agree..
    It was late.. I was tired..
    I just copied/pasted the title from the Examiner piece.

Still.. The line seems drawn in something more solid than sand.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"trade our lives" is a pretty strong declaration, but, without overtly threatening anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    "trade our lives" is a pretty strong declaration, but, without overtly threatening anyone.
    Exactly what I thought. The last sentence of that letter is extremely strong. It shouldn't need any clarification.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List