Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife skills, practice them! (TPD gun grab)

I just started the "Bringing a Gun to a Knife Fight". I do like it a lot so far. It's got info regarding both pistol and knife skills. It's 270 pages, and I'm on page 60-ish. The material is presented very well - clearly and methodically.

What knives am I bringing...Um, all of them? I probably have 30 or so folders and maybe a couple of dozen fixed blades.

I'm going to try to just use a couple, the ones I EDC. For fixed blades, I have a ESEE Candiru in a Dark Star sheath. I may try a Busse Skeleton Key or a ScrapYard Street Scrapper 4 LE.

For folders, I have some waved Emersons and Spydercos. I'm got a Buck-Tarani 882 that I'll bring, just because of the instructor. But my EDC is usually a waved Emerson CQC-7 in my left rear pocket, and the Candiru at 12:00. But a lot of times I pocket carry a Spyderco Ronin in a custom pocket sheath. Man, so many blades, so little time.

I feel like an idiot selling a waved Emerson Karambit last year. I told it because I nearly gave myself an unplanned appendectomy with it. Already got too much crochet work on my body as it is, but if I had known about this class, I would have kept it. I still have a karambit trainer though, that should help. Steve has a lot of material on karambits.

If anybody has a waved Spyderco Endura trainer to sell, let me know. I need a drone to go with the live blade.

I like the integration of weapons in his books. If I carry a gun, I always have a knife to cut someone off my gun. This book hopefully covers that.

Obviously, reading a book or watching videos is NOT a substitute for getting training. It's why I am so pumped about this class. I just like reading beforehand, to get better prepared as a student.

I will definitely do an AAR when we are done. I am planning on doing three HiTS classes this year - this edged weapons class, a shotgun class and their signature First Responder Pistol class.

You may want to reach out to Nyeti - he has done a lot of work with knives, and has one named after him.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I just started the "Bringing a Gun to a Knife Fight". I do like it a lot so far. It's got info regarding both pistol and knife skills. It's 270 pages, and I'm on page 60-ish. The material is presented very well - clearly and methodically.

What knives am I bringing...Um, all of them? I probably have 30 or so folders and maybe a couple of dozen fixed blades.

I'm going to try to just use a couple, the ones I EDC. For fixed blades, I have a ESEE Candiru in a Dark Star sheath. I may try a Busse Skeleton Key or a ScrapYard Street Scrapper 4 LE.

For folders, I have some waved Emersons and Spydercos. I'm got a Buck-Tarani 882 that I'll bring, just because of the instructor. But my EDC is usually a waved Emerson CQC-7 in my left rear pocket, and the Candiru at 12:00. But a lot of times I pocket carry a Spyderco Ronin in a custom pocket sheath. Man, so many blades, so little time.

I feel like an idiot selling a waved Emerson Karambit last year. I told it because I nearly gave myself an unplanned appendectomy with it. Already got too much crochet work on my body as it is, but if I had known about this class, I would have kept it. I still have a karambit trainer though, that should help. Steve has a lot of material on karambits.

If anybody has a waved Spyderco Endura trainer to sell, let me know. I need a drone to go with the live blade.

I like the integration of weapons in his books. If I carry a gun, I always have a knife to cut someone off my gun. This book hopefully covers that.

Obviously, reading a book or watching videos is NOT a substitute for getting training. It's why I am so pumped about this class. I just like reading beforehand, to get better prepared as a student.

I will definitely do an AAR when we are done. I am planning on doing three HiTS classes this year - this edged weapons class, a shotgun class and their signature First Responder Pistol class.

You may want to reach out to Nyeti - he has done a lot of work with knives, and has one named after him.
    Great info, really appreciate it! I'm just starting on my journey learning about blades. Appreciate the heads up on nyeti.

Thanks again.

No problem, I hoped I was coherent enough when I typed that, it had been a long day.

Another real big benefit to consider. How much ammo do you have to buy for a knife class? Um, none?

I deliberately switched my training plans for this year. I'm still doing four pistol classes, but I dropped my plans for some of the carbine classes. I'm only doing one carbine class, and not three.

Instead, I'm taking a shotgun class (still plenty of birdshot out there), an edged weapons class, and later this year a protective agent class. The last is because I am really big on avoiding trouble. And that is what a successful protective agent does - avoid trouble. And none of those classes require I spend a dollar a round on .223 ammo.

So you can also think of the OP's suggestion as also facing economic reality. No ammo does not need to mean no training, just work on other skills while you accumulate what ammo you need.

You guys have no idea how thankful we are that our first big class this year is a knife class. Ammo is a REAL issue right now. Hopefully, people will take the opportunity to expand their edged weapon and hand to hand skillset.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I like it!! Win the fight.

Question A knife?

I am not law enforcement nor a veteran/active duty but I see no real usefulness for a knife if you already have a pistol. Why wouldn't you simply draw and use your pistol? Is it a type of thing where you're rolling around on the ground with an assailant? The odds of that happening to a regular citizen with a ccp are vanishingly small. Is this something JUST for law enforcement/active duty in theater soldiers? Can someone please explain this to me? POLITELY.

P;

In the event of an entangled engagement a knife is at times a means to keep retention of your holstered firearm and a means to inflict damage to fight back to your holstered firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Panoply View Post
    I am not law enforcement nor a veteran/active duty but I see no real usefulness for a knife if you already have a pistol. Why wouldn't you simply draw and use your pistol? Is it a type of thing where you're rolling around on the ground with an assailant? The odds of that happening to a regular citizen with a ccp are vanishingly small. Is this something JUST for law enforcement/active duty in theater soldiers? Can someone please explain this to me? POLITELY.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    P;

In the event of an entangled engagement a knife is at times a means to keep retention of your holstered firearm and a means to inflict damage to fight back to your holstered firearm.
    Also, you may:
    -not actually have your pistol (restricted environments, etc)
    -have your pistol but not be able to access it, a la the aforementioned entanglement, or you're knocked flat on your back (or stomach), hemmed in by the environment (table, car door, etc)

Site Supporter
    When issues get close or really close, they can end up having knife solutions, more than gun solutions.

Cookie Monster

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    You guys have no idea how thankful we are that our first big class this year is a knife class. Ammo is a REAL issue right now. Hopefully, people will take the opportunity to expand their edged weapon and hand to hand skillset.
    +1. Looks like I will not be able to make a LAV class next month because of the ammo panic.

User Tag List