Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife skills, practice them! (TPD gun grab)

Knife skills, practice them! (TPD gun grab)

Tulsa, OK Police Officer was forced to shank a dude 5 times in order to stop him from trying to jack his heater. Video interview of TPD Officer Tyler Turnbough can be seen here describing the event.

This reinforces the need to practice a wide variety of skillsets and after just taking Chris Fry's Practical Knife Skills class this past weekend I'd highly recommend taking a recognized knife skills class.

The knife, specifically the easily accessible fixed blade is a HUGE asset in a fight. In an entangled situation, I honestly think it's the most important weapon one can possess.

Good on this officer.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    The knife, specifically the easily accessible fixed blade is a HUGE asset in a fight. In an entangled situation, I honestly think it's the most important weapon one can possess.
    We ran through various force on force drills in that class with folding and fixed blade trainers and there's absolutely no way I would ever try to rely on a folder for any type of "oh $h!t" situation.

I think that's TPD223's lane. Wonder if he can comment (yet).

He's Kansas not Oklahoma if that's what you meant.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Ah. Wrong "T".

I am taking an edged weapons class from Steve Tarani next month, just for the reasons mentioned.

It's loads of fun to shoot carbines. But I usually have a pistol on me, and always have a knife, unless I'm in a courthouse or on an airplane.

On deploying a folder. It's been my experience in FoF that if one has enough control and the positional dominance to deploy a gun then a folder fits that window as well. But fixed blades allow us to "cheat" IFWA to a degree.

I'd be very interested to hear the details of the Tarani course once you complete it. I've always been very interested in training with him.
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post

I'd be very interested to hear the details of the Tarani course once you complete it. I've always been very interested in training with him.
    Thanks, I'm taking Pelican case full of knives, and all four of his books. I'm reading "Bringing a Gun to a Knife Fight" now, and will hopefully have finished the rest before class. It seems to be a better training experience for me if I can have some questions written down prior to attending.

It probably makes it bad for the instructor, though. "Jebus, will this guy ever stop with all the questions???

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thanks, I'm taking Pelican case full of knives, and all four of his books. I'm reading "Bringing a Gun to a Knife Fight" now, and will hopefully have finished the rest before class. It seems to be a better training experience for me if I can have some questions written down prior to attending.

It probably makes it bad for the instructor, though. "Jebus, will this guy ever stop with all the questions???
    +1 for an AAR of Steves class

What do you think of his books you've read?

What knives are you taking?

User Tag List