Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to Train With...?

My biggest issue is: which one do I take?
    I would echo the advice from default.mp3: "just pick which is the most convenient/cheapest for you and go with it." ANY quality trainer should be able to provide you with a good, basic intro to the shooting world and address the "what am I doing wrong" issue. As others have mentioned, different instructors tend to focus on different issues or areas, but any of them should give a somewhat similar intro/basic shooting program.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I would echo the advice from default.mp3: "just pick which is the most convenient/cheapest for you and go with it." ANY quality trainer should be able to provide you with a good, basic intro to the shooting world and address the "what am I doing wrong" issue. As others have mentioned, different instructors tend to focus on different issues or areas, but any of them should give a somewhat similar intro/basic shooting program.
    That's why I recommended PFC.

Thanks guys. I've actually never heard of Progressive FORCE before, so I'm really glad to have posted it here. I love this place. I might be taking the Progressive Handgun 1 and 2 in March, now! Thanks!!!
    Before I do anything, I ask myself, “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.
    Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    - Todd's class has nothing to do with competition. In fact, I read a report of competitive shooter complaining that he didn't get much out of it for competition's sake. if you can meet the skill pre-reqs, I highly recommend it.
    I don't agree with this statement. I have taken Todd Greens' AFHF class, and three fellow IDPA shooters as well. We all found it very useful and helpful. Todd is a competitor as well. We had LE, IDPA competitors, and concealed carry guys in class and he covered the differences for each of us. I will say that my accuracy greatly improved after taking Todd's class...he is very big on accuracy, and for good reason.

Todd would say (and has said) that his class is not the only one a competitor/pistolier should take because not every master shoots exactly the same way. Each shooter has to work through their own weaknesses and find solutions to those weaknesses that will not become realized until he/she has taken a few different pistol training classes.

And, I would like to add that it's not just about gun-handling, but this has to include legal liabilities, critical decision-making under stress, being in compliance with federal and state and local laws, emergency gunshot treatment, and everything it takes to be well-trained and responsible pistolier.
    CC

To borrow a phrase, "Just do it".

I was a late comer to the training arena and, sadly, I spent many years wasting time and ammo. I learned more in the first weekend than I would have imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A one on one tutorial with Manny Bragg at Universal Shooting Academy in FL is the shooting equivalent of getting an all day head to toe physical.
    I am going to call and cancel my May one-on-one with him unless I received your full assurance that he deferred a rectal exam part.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    - The instructor has to be or have been a student of a pistol himself. This means spending a lot of time of his own behind the gun. Coming from military or LE by itself doesn't cut it as it doesn't mean that he received a lot of training and needed to pass stringent competency standards. Using your examples, LAV and Mac are from a unit that probably spends more time with pistol than any mil unit, while not knowing who is teaching for MD makes it a nonstarter for me until I know.
    IIRC, Steve Fisher is the primary instructor for MD these days:

Quote Originally Posted by Magpul Dynamics
    Steve comes to Magpul with 15 years of law enforcement service in various roles, and continues to serve as a reserve officer with an agency in the southern United States as a firearms trainer for SWAT and patrol divisions.

Steve’s career as a trainer started in the 90's, first at NTFT and then later as the owner and lead trainer of MDFI, both Michigan based companies. He was responsible for the development of new programs and tactics for several local departments and new training curriculums based on low light, home defense and the use of the carbine, handgun and shotgun in various roles.

Steve is active in 2-Gun and 3-Gun competition on the local level, as well as in other competitive disciplines. Steve has been featured in SWAT Magazine and has written for both SWAT Magazine and Surefire Combat Tactics.

Over the years Steve has participated in numerous training programs from notable instructors in the industry as well as many local level schools, and stays active on both sides of the training industry. He is also an avid hunter and has a history in the outdoor/hunting television community as both a hunter and cameraman.

Steve’s knowledge and experience have been extremely significant in the curriculum revisions, and his ability to diagnose and correct student problems brings great value to his classes.
    Just FYI. Not as sexy as being ex-CAG, but I've heard good things about Mr. Fisher in the various AARs on M4C and LF. Not sure how much impact it would have on an introductory course, but I do know some people care about such things.

Is FrontSight worthwhile training? The advertising seems overly pushy and that causes me significant pause.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEMTP View Post
    Is FrontSight worthwhile training? The advertising seems overly pushy and that causes me significant pause.
    Usually when they get mentioned there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth but I don't think it's really necessary. I'm definitely not one for their marketing techniques and I think there are better options to spend your money on from what I know of their training techniques. If you'd like some recommendations I'm sure one of our members knows of some good trainers in the PA area.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEMTP View Post
    I know several people who have been and they all seem to think it was worthwhile. There does seem to be a bit of "groupthink", but that's not universal, so maybe it's just the less experienced shooters amongst them.

User Tag List