Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's and their support for "tactical rifles"

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Beyond the general awkwardness* of saying "Modern Sporting Rifle," I would feel like I was speaking out of both sides of my mouth if I started using that term regularly.

While the description is factually accurate (after all, ARs are indeed one of the top choices in shooting sports), I usually try to steer people away from "sporting purpose" discussions. I don't feel comfortable hammering on people that the 2A isn't about hunting/sports while simultaneously stressing that my carbines are Modern Sporting Rifles.

I understand the utility of the phrase, and I don't object to other people using it, but it's not a term that I'll use myself any time soon.

*I just don't like using longer terms where shorter ones will suffice.
    Modern Sporting Rifle = 6 syllables
    MSR = 3 (though most people will have to ask you what an MSR is, defeating the purpose of using an acronym)
    Firearm = 3
    Rifle = 2
    Carbine = 2

I agree with Byron. Using the label of MSR is placing a value on that category that I don't necessarily agree with.

If you want to try and steer people away from the assault weapon label, and try and keep an AR15 from being placed in "that" category of "other" firearms that are somehow different, then calling them what they are will work just fine; carbine, rifle, firearm all work and are also more neutral in value/perception/connotation than MSR to begin with.

I'm a vet, and I use the term "weapon" all the time. I don't like pussy-footing around what the purpose of a firearm is, and doing so isn't going to change any antis attitude anyway. If some NRA piss-ant bubba tried getting in my shit for it, I'd laugh incessantly. FWIW, on changing attitudes and how bad the term "weapon" is, I usually find that being direct and to the point gains more. When someone questions me about why I need a weapon to kill people, I tell them the truth......not some NRA fantasy-land version of bunny wabbits. Since I'm being honest and upfront, they tend to reciprocate and the whole conversation is much more sensible in the end.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-25-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm a vet, and I use the term "weapon" all the time. I don't like pussy-footing around what the purpose of a firearm is,"
    It is not the sole purpose of the firearm, however. If we label them thusly we limit discussion and debate to a context.

and doing so isn't going to change any antis attitude anyway. If some NRA piss-ant bubba tried getting in my shit for it, I'd laugh incessantly. FWIW, on changing attitudes and how bad the term "weapon" is, I usually find that being direct and to the point gains more. When someone questions me about why I need a weapon to kill people, I tell them the truth......not some NRA fantasy-land version of bunny wabbits. Since I'm being honest and upfront, they tend to reciprocate and the whole conversation is much more sensible in the end.
    It has far more effect than you would think. Words matter. Context is critical.

I have the good fortune to address government, organizational, and community groups of all types, and various political persuasions, on a variety of topics. In discussion of firearms issues, portions of my audience(s) will demonstrate a less negative response in discussing a 10 year boy shooting his rifle, than a 10 year old boy shooting his weapon. Words evoke imagery. Read it again...

A ten year old boy with a rifle.
    A ten year old boy with a weapon.

Use what you wish, but why limit yourself so?

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    It is not the sole purpose of the firearm, however. If we label them thusly we limit discussion and debate to a context.
    Ah, but MSR is okay, cause that's not biasing our 2A rights being in the camp of sporting purposes, instead of what the 2A is actually about.

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    It has far more effect than you would think. Words matter. Context is critical.
    Oh, really? Context is critical, and words matter. Hmm. Interesting concept. I totally forgot that I addressed that in my post, speaking to values, perceptions and connotations.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Let us stay civil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    There is some push to have an event anyway, without Reed, that would have all of the good guys.
    I will be there with $$$ to spend to show some support if it goes. It would be nice to see some of the vendors that stood up get a chance for some extra traffic and revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    -snip-

I'm a vet, and I use the term "weapon" all the time. I don't like pussy-footing around what the purpose of a firearm is, and doing so isn't going to change any antis attitude anyway. If some NRA piss-ant bubba tried getting in my shit for it, I'd laugh incessantly. FWIW, on changing attitudes and how bad the term "weapon" is, I usually find that being direct and to the point gains more. When someone questions me about why I need a weapon to kill people, I tell them the truth......not some NRA fantasy-land version of bunny wabbits. Since I'm being honest and upfront, they tend to reciprocate and the whole conversation is much more sensible in the end.
    I get that, and won't rail against your first amendment right to call it what you want.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I usually just call them rifles, and sometimes even "guns". But, call them whatever you want; it's a free(ish) country.

Anyway, good on Cabelas and the other vendors that pulled out of the Reed Exhibitions show. My son needs some camping gear for scouts, so Cabelas will be high on my list of places to look.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    +1.

I am not sure if it is an NRA thing or just the guys who taught the NRA Range Safety Officer class but they made sure we called a firearm, a firearm. A lot of the former military people in the class kept calling them weapons and were corrected.

Personally I think calling something a weapon has a negative implication, this includes the term Assault Weapon, and the more we can do to sound positive gives the anti-gun crowd less to use against us.
    For the first use of the word "weapon" while in NRA Basic Instructor Development Workshop we bought the Training Counselor a six pack,our choice. For the second, and subsequent, violations it was Guinness. I only slipped once, out of his hearing, which is kind of remarkable, considering that my retirement from the Army was effective the first day of the workshop.

Edited to add: This is, more or less, a PR thing. NRA Instructors are also expected to maintain a well-groomed appearance; long hair, beards, etc., are OK, but keep them neat. Dress to local standards; around here, a polo shirt and unfaded jeans is practically wedding clothes; elsewhere, we were told, we should wear a blazer, necktie optional...

What I don't get is why anyone would call the AR15 "Modern". You don't look at a 63 Corvette and call it modern, you call it a classic. We need to point out to EVERYONE on the other side that this thing is 50 years old.

User Tag List