Thread: Smartcarry drawstroke

Smartcarry drawstroke

What is the preferred method of drawing from the smart carry iwb apron holster?

I am confused about when to acquire two hands on the gun.

I guess there are two ways to draw.

The first would be a modified standard approach where the off hand goes to the sternum and the weapon hand dives for the belt, fingers together. After a grip is acquired in the gun this draw proceeds as normal appendix draw (see Paul Gomez Youtube videos for details) .

The second is what is written on the smart carry literature, the offhand grabs the belt and pulls the pants away from the waist while the gun hand acquires a grip on the pistol. Now what? I can think of two choices neither of them very good.

You could acquire a two handed grip at the belt line in a manner similar to what you would do at the sternum but now any sort of a pressout or drawstroke completion seems a bit convoluted starting the three count at this very low position.

Another approach would be to raise the gun till it clears the belt and then roll the gun (butt against body, barrel away from body, muzzle down) as the gun rises to the sternum, now you could have the hands meet as the gun is rising since the second hand would be coming under the gun similar to a traditional three count.

none of these seems optimal any suggestions would be appreciated.

We are diminished
    I cannot claim to be a SmartCarry expert, but it is my carry method of choice when I cannot carry in a normal aiwb holster.

Just like aiwb, it's important to practice at least a SHO draw with SmartCarry. When I draw this way, it is usually to a one-handed shooting position. If I could get both hands on the gun, it would happen at about sternum height, like normal (for me).

When using a 2H draw, I follow the SmartCarry recommendation and make some space for my shooting hand and the gun by using my support hand to pull my belt/pants forward away from my body. When drawing this way, my support hand follows my strong hand up the front of my body to my normal grip & ready position.

Todd, to you carry a P30 this way or a smaller gun?

I tried a smartcarry for a bit with a S&W Shield.

The most crucial thing I learned almost immediately is that if you need to loosen or tighten the Smartcarry, you MUST first remove the handgun and sit it down someplace safe.

I tried adjusting the tightness of the Smartcarry in my den by pulling the velcro connectors apart and trying to put them together tighter. But as soon as the gun was not held firmly against my body, it fell out onto the ground. I would have hated for this to happen if I was trying to adjust the fit in someplace like a public bathroom stall.

This may be obvious to someone accustomed to wearing a Smartcarry, but it was a lightbulb moment for me.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jon volk View Post
    Todd, to you carry a P30 this way or a smaller gun?
    The one I have has worked for a M&P FS and a P30, and was at least manageable with a G17. There is a larger size that would probably be at least worth trying for a full size 1911. Having said that, the last time I used mine for any length of time it was with a G26.

User Tag List