Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt Exploiting Loopholes

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Yes. It's quite spectacular. Especially from a shorter than 20" gun.

Flash hiders are kind of important.
    Luckily we have the battlecomp, or Bravo's new BC competition.

Still though. 99.99% of any shooting for a gun owner (here) will likely be at the range, but I would imagine that a lot of the point for most people is that possible one time it might not be. That .01% is suddenly really important.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post

Still though. 99.99% of any shooting for a gun owner (here) will likely be at the range, but I would imagine that a lot of the point for most people is that possible one time it might not be. That .01% is suddenly really important.
    Concur 100%
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Ever crank off a 5.56 from a weapon w/o muzzle device in low light?
    Yes. I know. I believe y'all. The 5.56 is a loud & flashy round. I'm just saying, we won't have those if they ban them. In which case, I'm glad my muzzle will still have some protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post

Think for yourself. Question authority.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Flash hiders are *really* good ideas on defensive rifles.
    ...because between the centrally-controlled lights in my house and the squillion-lumen light on my carbine, that muzzle flash is going to TOTALLY $%%^& up my night vision. Gotcha.

Of course, maybe the batteries in the light on my carbine are dead and maybe the zombies have chewed through the power drop to my house and maybe I should worry about whether the lightning rod in my beret is properly grounded in case I have to shoot the home invader during a thunderstorm...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Ever crank off a 5.56 from a weapon w/o muzzle device in low light?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    In the Byzantine maze which is Kalifornia's gun law, I have settled on Battle Comps for rifle configurations where I have to get rid of the flash suppressor/hider. They seem to be the best compromise as long as you are willing to spend the $$$.
    Ditto, I've got a pinned BCE 1.5 personally, as a flash hider or threaded barrel which is capable of accepting one is on the limited "pick two of the following" evil features list here.

Just to smooth things over for customers in ban states with their FSC556, PWS even sends a letter from ATF stating that it is not a flash hider. So, to ban flash hiders is stupid, but it's certainly not the end of the world. Take an A2 birdcage and put a closed front on it....BAM! Now it's a compensator and legal...
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Take an A2 birdcage and put a closed front on it....BAM! Now it's a compensator and legal...
    Back in the early 'Aughties, we actually kept a couple of shot-out barrels we'd use to slice chunks off of to silver solder into flash hiders for just this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Back in the early 'Aughties, we actually kept a couple of shot-out barrels we'd use to slice chunks off of to silver solder into flash hiders for just this purpose.
    Now that's smart. American ingenuity!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I will add that if the main reason you have a carbine in the house is to lay night ambushes for blue-helmeted invaders in the dark from the topiaries along the bicycle paths down the block, then you definitely don't want your muzzle flash to mess up your night vision. Heck, I have flash hiders on both my carbines just in case I have to do this very thing.

On the other hand, if you're going to use it to shoot some dude in your upstairs hallway with the Cookie Monster night light in the wall socket, a 40-watt bulb left running in the computer room down the hall and a 200+ lumen SureStreamFireLight clamped to your carbine's quad-rail, then maybe this should be about thirty-seventh on your list of Important Things To Worry About On Your Carbine.

Disclaimer: I have never jumped out of a helicopter with a knife in my teeth.

EDITED TO ADD: Odd how few shorty HD shotguns have flash hiders... Well, except for all those ghey new Mossenbergers with the "standoff devices" in case you need to breach the fridge door to get another pint of Cherry Garcia...
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-18-2013 at 09:34 PM.

User Tag List