Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique Please

Critique Please

I shot the 3x5 card drill from 3 yards six times on Saturday. I didn't have a lot of time, so this was the only practice I was able to get in. I did shoot some video that I have posted to my YouTube Channel I would appreciate any feed back. I did notice that I was forgetting to take my finger off the trigger when I was bringing the gun back to ready.

The target base is about three to four feet up from the bottom of the berm, which is why I appear to be shooting uphill.

Here is the card from the first string.
    Name:  String-1.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  59.3 KB

The second string, I lost count and fired 6:
    Name:  String-2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  51.5 KB

The third string, 4 rounds:
    Name:  String-3.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  42.3 KB
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

We are diminished
    My critique: You can hit a 3x5 at 3yd. Now try it at 5yd.

Thanks Todd, but the drill says the goal at three yards is to have all the holes touching. Should I continue to work to that goal or move back to 5 yards?
    --
    Formerly hombre gris

Quote Originally Posted by KentF View Post
    Thanks Todd, but the drill says the goal at three yards is to have all the holes touching. Should I continue to work to that goal or move back to 5 yards?
    Try it with a larger caliber, then the holes will touch.

Go to Staples and buy a package of 3/4" diameter price stickers.
    Use those as a target until you can put 3 shots on the dot consistently from 3 yards.
    Then back up and use 3x5's at 5 and 7 yards.
    The 3x5 is too big of a target for 3 yards and shooters who are new to precision drills will start chasing bullet holes around the paper.
    3/4" to 1" dots at 3 yards are just about perfect for learning trigger control, front sight focus, arc of movement and sight alignment.
    Last edited by JodyH; 04-11-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Use those as a target until you can put 3 shots on the dot consistently from 3 yards.
    The 3x5 is too big of a target for 3 yards and shooters who are new to precision drills will start chasing bullet holes around the paper.
    3/4" to 1" dots at 3 yards are just about perfect for learning trigger control, front sight focus, arc of movement and sight alignment.
    Ooooh, new cheap targets.

Thanks Jody, I'll get some tonight.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris

We are diminished
    I've got an awful lot of students over the past 15 years or so who might disagree with that...

I know allot of my students would look at me like I had 2 heads if I put a 1 inch dot on the target and tell them all rounds must hit it. I might even get shot.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

We used targets with 1" Squares in the center of the 3x5 or 7" scoring circles, and it does give you a good reference.

User Tag List