Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get an LEM trigger gun to get better at an SAO gun?

Get an LEM trigger gun to get better at an SAO gun?

Just found a P30 LEM for sale, been looking for one near to me for a long time.

Handled it, in the thought that even if I don't end up carrying it, the LEM trigger would help focus on trigger control how a light 1911 trigger would not. This line of reasoning make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post

Handled it, in the thought that even if I don't end up carrying it, the LEM trigger would help focus on trigger control how a light 1911 trigger would not. This line of reasoning make sense?
    In principle, yes, practically, not exactly. I did what you describe over three years ago, going from 1911 to Glock. I went from Glocks to LEM in October 2011. One of the reasons for last transition was for extra challenge, hoping it'll make me better overall.
    Speaking for myself only, the biggest hardship with LEM that I have/had was a specific anticipation seen with this system, followed by release/reset of trigger for follow-up shots, only then followed by trigger control and extra muzzle flip.
    I think that if 1911 trigger control is what you're after, than Glock is a better choice as an "extra challenge" option. LEM is sufficiently different from both, and might frustrate in various different aspects. I personally have enjoyed working through the challenge, but I am not certain I won't go back to Glock when gadget is available.

I'm either behind or ahead of the curve from of YVK along the same path, depending on your viewpoint, because I have already went back to Glock. My time with the LEM helped my shooting, and was a good learning experience, but because I was trying to learn the LEM, not because I was trying to use it as a method to get better with something else. If I had taken the time, money, and ammo spent on the P30 and poured that into my preferred system, would I be further ahead? Now, if you just want to play with a P30 because you like it, more power to ya.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

You don't need a good reason to buy an HK LEM, but if I was interested in something for trigger control, it would be a lightweight .22 like a S&W 317.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post

I never bought into that rational - you either concentrate on the trigger break or you do not. I have found I shoot better, in competition or practice, when I concentrate on the trigger and sights. Follow the front sight, squeeze and follow through. Follow through is vital for a clean break.

The benchrest/hi power guys don't practice w/ crappy triggers to get better. They concentrate on the good trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post

The benchrest/hi power guys don't practice w/ crappy triggers to get better. They concentrate on the good trigger.
    Leaving aside whether bench rest practice is ideal for practical shooting, please define "crappy?"

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Leaving aside whether bench rest practice is ideal for practical shooting, please define "crappy?"
    I didn't say benchrest is ideal practice for practical shooting. No did I say, or mean to imply, the HK trigger was "crappy."

Crappy would be defined by:
    1. Excessive weight (in order to minimize liability)
    2. Inconsistent weight
    3. Gritty feel
    4. Poor pivot geometry
    5. Side to side play
    6. Excessive over travel

And so on. As in anything that does not contribute to consistency in trigger break.

My point was, and is, it seems counter productive to me to rationalize using a "bureauacraticly" designed/concieved trigger (let me clarify that - one designed to make pulling the trigger more difficult, because that is the intent, so as to minimize liability) to force one's self to concentrate on the trigger pull sequence. Why handicap yourself? Hence the analogy - you don't see highpower shooters installing GI trigger groups to practice. They practice with the NM trigger groups.

Of course, I do not warranty this any further than my own logic. And the extent of my tacticalness is a pair of 5.11 pants with acid holes in them. So take from this what you like.

The above said, if that is what someone wants, then cool. You have my full support. I get want for want's sake.

By coincidence, SLG and I were chatting on the phone just a few minutes ago, and he was saying that when he was carrying a Sig 229, and tuned up shooting the DA Sig trigger, he could shoot anything well. I know that Bill Rogers believes that practicing with a lightweight DA Smith revolver, where you have to steer the sights while working a long, heavy trigger is incredibly helpful to shooting a semi-auto well. I suspect folks that exclusively shoot a 1911 have a different view on triggers, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    when he was carrying a Sig 229, and tuned up shooting the DA Sig trigger, he could shoot anything well.
    I can't run a DA/SA as well as he can, but I believe this is true. I've seen folks, more than a few times, that come from a DA/SA background that really mastered it, could shoot almost anything.

One time, at the NRA Range, I let this experienced revolver guy shoot my LEM P30. I've never seen this guy shoot anything but revolvers, and he doesn't cock them before shooting each shot, he shoots them all DA. It was his first time shooting a LEM, and he put them in to a group that 7 yards that looked like one (true) bullet hole, it was not an enlarged hole. He really knew how to work that trigger.

I think that learning to work the trigger on an unforgiving platform like a DA/SA Sig or even a DA revolver, pays off in the end. That's assuming you're willing to really master it.

JV, I couldn't agree with you more. If all you want to shoot is a 1911, knock yourself out and shoot just a 1911 -- but if you want to be able to shoot a range of handguns, the 1911 trigger is a "crutch."

User Tag List