Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

Decided to post this here as opposed to the handful of other firearm related forums I frequent. As a whole, it's just a more cerebral group.

I have no modern sporting rifles(or battle rifle, AR, AK, evil black rifle, or whatever term you prefer). I've been able to shoot many different models over the past 7-8 years, from very high quality to the bottom of the barrel. I've spent many hundreds of hours reading and researching them- blogs, forums, catalogs, books, magazines, videos. Most of my buddies are pretty much clueless about what's what but they at least they have one. Granted they are DPMS, Olympic, Bushmaster, and the like but right now IT'S ME that looks like the dummy! I resisted the urge to buy one when I'd see a used M&P Sport for $500 or a Hungarian AK for $400- I wanted a top tier rifle and I'd wait till I could pay cash for it. Besides, I had all the time in the world. Then it all came crashing down.

I had been in regular contact with a highly regarded company, asking questions and figuring out exactly how I wanted my rifle set up. It was going to be sweet. I would have the cash before the new year. $1500 B.N.(before Newtown- like BC or AD).

I have 6 handguns, mostly Glocks and a cherry Colt 1911. I have bolt action rifles, for hunting and long range target shooting. I have a shotgun and of course the ol trusty 10/22. But I don't have the AR I want. Shoot, I don't even have a piece of crap AR. And it's killing me. It's like I've brainwashed myself into believing that I'm not at all properly prepared to defend my family and home without one, even with 2 safes full of guns.

Here's where I'm soliciting advice: I have $2000 to spend on whatever firearm(s) I choose. Due to recent events and all the panic buying the only battle rifles to be had at this time are online classifieds(I have a decent selection on a local one) and they're going for double what they were a month ago. Should I grossly overpay for one right now? I'd still have to overpay to get a small stack of magazines for it. Or do I hang on to my cash, pray for no new AWB, and wait for supply and demand to level out? I've also been contemplating another Glock- a TSD Combat Systems slide milled to accept a Trijicon RMR02. At least I already have a couple dozen magazines to feed one of those.

I was so close to having the rifle I'd always wanted- then Newtown happened. I'm in a crappy position. Given my current situation, what would you do?
    Last edited by philpac33; 01-14-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by philpac33 View Post
    Or do I hang on to my cash, pray for no new AWB, and wait for supply and demand to level out?
    In addition to prayer, I would suggest contacting your legislators and engaging people in conversation about this issue, so as to present a rational argument and hopefully influence fence-sitters.

Personally, I would not pay grossly inflated prices for an AR, especially one of inferior quality.

Check out Daniel Defense the cue resets at midnight. Top tier and regular price.
    ETA: actually they are not taking orders till the 22nd due to SHOT.
    Last edited by jrm; 01-14-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update on order process

Outcome #1: nothing substantial gets passed, hysteria subsides, you get your stuff later at normal-er prices.
    Outcome # 2: something gets passed, transfer is not prohibited, you'll have to overpay; question is if prices will be any higher than now - I don't think so, there is only that much demand, paychecks are 2% less, but I could be wrong.
    Outcome # 3: bad stuff gets passed, transfer is prohibited, hoarders will start dumping stuff before the deadline.
    I wouldn't buy now.

NRA, NSSF, and Harry Reid have signaled a new federal AWB is a no-go, but I'm having trouble finding intel on any WA-specific legislation. I could have sworn I read somewhere that someone in the WA legislature is going to try to introduce an AWB, but I don't know the makeup of the WA legislature, or how likely it is to pass.

So while the panic might die down at a national level, and prices may begin to drop, you still might not be out of the woods. Adjust your priorities based on likelihood of legislation being passed.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

If it was me, I'd hang onto the money but keep a sharp eye out for a decent deal.

There are still retailers out there selling at decent prices, you just gotta watch.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post
    NRA, NSSF, and Harry Reid have signaled a new federal AWB is a no-go, but I'm having trouble finding intel on any WA-specific legislation. I could have sworn I read somewhere that someone in the WA legislature is going to try to introduce an AWB, but I don't know the makeup of the WA legislature, or how likely it is to pass.

So while the panic might die down at a national level, and prices may begin to drop, you still might not be out of the woods. Adjust your priorities based on likelihood of legislation being passed.
    Hard to say, but they did pass some legislation not long ago opening up previously state banned NFA items. What does that mean?

Ummmmmm. Nothing.

Save your money and buy the rifle you want when Chicken Little stops claiming the sky is falling. Who knows? The sky might fall. But that still doesn' justify buying a piece of shit rifle at 250% MSRP. Buying a piece of shit is hard to justify (by my gorilla logic) at MSRP as it is.

Be patient.

If I'm wrong and prices skyrocket beyond what they are now.......I'll offer to sell you one of my AR's for the current trend of ~250% of MSRP.

I also don't have a semi-auto rifle but have considered it. For now, however, I'm out of the market, as I've decided not to become swept up in the panic, although it may mean that I never obtain such a rifle.

Don't Panic

Hope the font is friendly enough...

I'd pick up one of those Daniel defense rifles at midnight on the 22nd. They might not be exactly what you were looking for but they are great rifles. I wish I had picked one up instead of my most recent ar purchase.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

User Tag List