Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KSTG at the NRA 22-January-2013

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Do you all have any feedback on the longer shots? Did you think they were too challenging?
    I don't think the shots themselves were too challenging, but I know I had some trouble telling if I had the right number of A-Zone hits or if I should keep shooting. That could partly be due to using yellow glasses indoors, though - they doesn't do much to highlight brown targets. Or maybe it gets harder to see holes as stickers build up. Or maybe I should move up to something that makes bigger holes. Or maybe I should just go get my eyes checked.

Quote Originally Posted by televiper View Post
    I don't think the shots themselves were too challenging, but I know I had some trouble telling if I had the right number of A-Zone hits or if I should keep shooting. That could partly be due to using yellow glasses indoors, though - they doesn't do much to highlight brown targets. Or maybe it gets harder to see holes as stickers build up. Or maybe I should move up to something that makes bigger holes. Or maybe I should just go get my eyes checked.
    I never can see my shots at 25 yds. It really forces you to watch the front sight lift and call your shots. I figured if I didn't get an a zone hit in six shots, oh well.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Agreed, I actually like the longer targets, but I too had some serious issues telling if I had hit or not. Think part of it was because I was in the later relay, so there was lots of tape on the targets, but some times shadows and peeling make it look like you've got a hit when you really don't. But otherwise no issue with the longer targets

Site Supporter
    I had a hard time seeing my shots too, and I ran it on the first relay (there weren't too many pasters).

I made sure I had good sight lift/follow-through for the shots. Before I left, I looked for at least 1 A zone shot and then moved on.

Site Supporter
    KSTG 22-January-2013 ResultsKSTG-130122.xls

All the shots were certainly doable. I felt like my drops were due to a lack of diligence about fundamentals rather than having bad visuals due to distance.

Did forget on the first stage that KSTG uses a binary scoring system and you need to actually hit the 3"x5" instead of just using it for a reference. Quickly reacquainted myself with that facet of the game and had a fun match.

I shoot Bullseye (and other boring pure-precision/target sports) at 25 and 50 yards, so I felt at home with the long shots (even thought they were pretty easy, considering I can use both hands in the run'n'gun games and can only use one hand in Bullseye). I can only sometimes see my hits at long distances, so I've always had to rely on reading my sights to call shots (and confirming with a spotting scope).

The stage design/required-rounds for the long shots also actually played nicely into my reload strategy for my wheelgun - especially on the 2nd stage (the barricades). I'd take my five required shots and shoot a sixth "insurance shot" at each barricade, then dump the empties and reload while moving to the next barricade. Same for the first stage - six rounds from each box (an insurance shot on each zone), reload between boxes.

Thanks to the guys for putting on a fun match again! I quite enjoyed it (except for the fourth stage - someone moved the second shooting box on me and my toes ended up poking out of the box).

Site Supporter
    For those that don't want to look in a spreadsheet:

Attachment 1273

There was someone taking pictures or video (from the way he was holding the camera, I'm guessing video) at my session. Does anyone know if those are going to be posted somewhere or if that was his personal collection?

Site Supporter
    Congratulations joshs!

User Tag List