Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grip Question

Quote Originally Posted by lcarr View Post
    One should note, though, that when I took a two-day class with him, he did NOT have us imitate him in this way. He discussed grip, but didn't tell any of us to do that with their index finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I've heard that Angus Hobdell, another finger on the trigger guard GM, also doesn't teach the same grip he actually uses.
    They sound like excellent instructors, and I think their teaching style is in accord with what I'm attempting to convey.

Whether dry and live fire aleviated or solidified their technique, I think their examples should be mentioned, not necessarily imitated, and certainly not mindlessly, for a well rounded discussion on the matter.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I will add that I am the first to say that, what I teach, is not always what I do. This may hold true for many instructors or shooters who might perform at high levels. First and foremost, I will teach in a manner or method that is known to get the best results with the most amount of shooters and will start with the quality or base fundamentals. Of course a great instructor will start to see an individual shooters own nuances or specific style as that shooter progresses and will help to foster that with a variety of teaching techniques or methods which will help shooters hone sound basic fundamentals while allowing for the ability to adapt or explore their own unique shooting style. Michael Jordan cannot teach me or 99% of the population what he does. But he can teach sound fundamentals with which a person can grow from.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I've heard that Angus Hobdell, another finger on the trigger guard GM, also doesn't teach the same grip he actually uses.
    That's correct, and I think he says that Eric is the only other top shooter he knows of using it. His reasoning for not teaching it is that if you get any sympathetic response from your support side trigger finger during shooting that you will steer the gun off target. It is on one of his segments in the 3GM Shooting Video.

User Tag List