Thread: Grip pressure

Grip pressure

I'm a beginner and I'm working on accuracy a lot. Been doing a lot if dry fire drills with my m&p 9c. At the range I can hold shots within the 7 circle at 10 yards but grouped to the left.

So I've heard to keep main hand looser and support hand firm. When I'm doing the drill of balancing a casing on the front sight I see the most controlled movements when my main palm is almost pushing forward on the backstrap and support hand almost pulling back. I haven't tested this on the range yet. But does this seem correct to more experienced shooters? I'm using a thumb forward grip.

No, you shouldn't be pushing and pulling, you should be clamping with the hands like a vise. There is tension in the arms but it is neutral, meaning if you remove one hand from the gun it does not move. Now, during recoil post ignition push to bring the gun back down is normal although not useful during group shooting, the push is really only used during rapid fire to reduce split time. Group shooting is mostly about consistency, doing the same thing every shot. You can adjust the amount of tension you apply to the gun and it usually will change the POI, typically reduce tension on one side will bring the shot over to that side farther. Focusing on a straight and smooth trigger pull is important too.

Now take all of that with a grain of salt, everybody shoots a little differently, you will need to experiment and figure out what works for you, and most likely what works will keep changing, hopefully for the better.

Academically speaking, if you're working on accuracy, the grip really doesn't matter; sight alignment, proper press and avoidance of anticipation determine the accuracy and are grip-independent. Reason I mention it is that the drill you mention, empty case one, tests trigger press, not grip - I just went and did it with iso, Weaver, and SHO, doesn't matter.
    If push - pull type grip gives you the most success with empty case drill, it most likely means that this particular grip stabilizes that gun the best against imperfections of your trigger pull. While this is an important benefit, it is generally considered to be of secondary importance to flip control and repeatability of return.
    I suggest not using this drill to assess your grip, in fact, I suggest do it one handed.
    As far as what correct grip is, most people think that side to side clamp is the key, other still believe in push pull, some combine the two to some extent, and then there is Vogel with his torquing, so who really knows. I personally clamp side to side, both pinching with support fingers as hard as I can plus pushing in with specs.

Maybe I'm misstating the grip. It's more of a pressure towards my body with my supporting hand in the same direction of the trigger pull. I am trying to learn a consistent method and it feels like this helps me bring my sights in quicker.

The casing drill I know is for trigger pull and I feel very competent With my background as a photographer. Using the index finger as an independent from the rest of the hand are skills applicable to both.

I feel like the smaller aspects of the grip are the one thing that will help most right now.

Grip hard. Not soft.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List