Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry on the job

Quote Originally Posted by Meaghurd929 View Post
    I was curious as to what the law is about concealed carry at your job. I have a carry permit but I was just curious. Thanks in advance.
    Bear in mind that IF it's legal in your state you still risk being fired if the fact that you carry becomes known. Aside from fairly small companies owned by a pro-gun person most businesses will take the risk averse route of forbidding carry and just asking about it will put you in the crosshairs of any hoplophobes.

My advice in such a situation would be to carry for 100% deep concealment (if you choose to carry) and understand that any exposure can be fatal to your career. Before I carried in such an environment I'd make sure my carry method was impossible to be found out short of metal detectors or a pat down.

Will you print when you sit or tie your shoe? What if a co-worker bumps you while walking past? Is there any physical contact ever? Do you do anything physical? Will you have to adjust the gun because it pinches your gut? All worth considering before you do it.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    How did you get TC's 2012 vacation pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm insulted. There's no way I'd be caught dead in aviators.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'm insulted. There's no way I'd be caught dead in aviators.
    That pic could be me, but with a David Hasselhof face.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

nope for me work in a public school not even permitted to have it in my truck.

Lomshek summed it up perfectly. If it is not illegal,careful concealment and weighing of risk/benefit are all up to the individual.

If your organization has an employee handbook, it probably states the policy. For instance, my current employer says carrying any weapon will result in immediate dismissal. It just occurred to me that the only time I even read the employee handbook was after getting my CCW license.

In our litigious-happy culture any employer with an HR department most likely has a "no weapons allowed" policy.

The only decision to be made is whether or not you're going to abide by said policy.

I'm not really sure what the policy is. I work in a restaurant as a waitress and its a local family owned business.

You probably don't have an employee manual (so there's something you can be thankful for). Legally, unless the owner has posted no guns signs (and again this all can vary by state etc), you probably are alright to carry; now you have an ethical decision to make, about asking forgiveness versus permission. You have to decide whether you should ask the owner, or not. Tough call in some ways, at least for me.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    If you are an at-will employee, then your employer can fire you for carrying even without a written policy.

User Tag List