Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun question...

A gun I have been thinking about making a copy of was one a guy at our IPSC club was using for shotgun. He has had shoulder surgery and is rather recoil sensitive when it comes to long guns.

He took a 20 gauge Rem 1100, a special field IIRC but maybe not, had a 21" barrel I think. Add a longer mag tube, a sorbothane type uber cushy recoil pad and one of those mercury recoil tube thingies in the stock. That gun handled and recoiled way more like an M1 carbine than a riot gun. I've seen him burn down the plate rack a number of times with that gun, 6 in like 2 seconds was pretty regular.

I've been wondering about this myself. My wife isn't a particularly avid shooter (recoil scared more than recoil sensitive) and I was considering a Mossberg .410 for her.
    The only hesitation I have is that I have seen very little information on ballistics for .410 buckshot other than idiotic predictions of how devastating it would be from a Taurus revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's not really a size thing. I'm "EHRMA GERD DIDJU PLAY BASKITBALL?" inches tall.

It originally comes from standing around behind the counter six years ago and coonfingering a couple of Youth Model 20ga 870s and wondering aloud whether a round of #3 buck from one at 5 yards was that much less effective than a twelve bore, especially given how light and nimble the 20ga 870 receiver was...
    I seriously doubt it.

Especially at 5 yrds.

.... especially given how light and nimble the 20ga 870 receiver was...
    No argument there. My 20-gauge 500 feels a lot sleeker than the 12.

I got the Bantam with the wood furniture instead of synthetic for more weight. Comes with a 13" LOP stock and 22" barrel with choke tubes. I replaced the factory recoil pad with a Limbsaver, replaced the slippery plastic safety button, and deburred the stamped sliding bits. Nice gun. With an 18.5" barrel it's even quicker. The downside to the 500 is that you can't extend the magazine tube.

We have a Youth 20 870 for HD purposes (a backup to the AR, yes an evil black rifle.) The Youth 870 is light and quick swinging with the slender 21" barrel.

There's no doubting when a buckshot load is set off in it. I have no doubt that at household ranges, #3 buckshot is going to "change someone's channel" right now.

I'm used to big ol' heavy honking 30" 11-87's with adjustable combs etc for a long day of busting clays. (They don't kick, particularly with 1 oz loads.)

The Youth 870 with its short LOP whaps me in the nose with my thumb if I'm not careful. 7/8 oz skeet loads are good training loads to use in it.

Our first range session with it we started working on some hanging steel plates with the skeet loads at about 20 yards. The plates, predictably enough, swung briskly when center punched. When hit with the buck, the plate rack was blown over backwards.

I have every confidence in the 870 Youth should I ever need it.

Plus, it's the cutest gun in the arsenal.

Edited to add: I run the Federal "Personal Defense" #4 buck loads in it now. 1100 fps mv, a little less brisk recoil and I find it has acceptable combat accuracy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/958344/federal-premium-personal-defense-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-4-buckshot-shot-24-pellets-box-of-5
    Last edited by NETim; 01-10-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Acceptable combat accuracy
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    -- Tam, have you had a chance to train with Rob Haught or anyone who expressly focuses on (to coin a phrase -- I don't think Mr. Haught coins many phrases) isometric recoil reduction? Recommended.
    I don't know, I thought his phrase describing the size of the ejection port in terms of fornicating felines was golden.

That said, the push-pull technique is worth its weight in gold. I can shoot all day and not feel a thing on my shoulder afterwards. I've used it with shotguns, carbines, and even a .500 NE double rifle at one point. It's not a technique for long-range shooting, but for close-range work, it just does the job.

If you can find good ammo, the 20 gauge will absolutely do its part, and it'll be lighter and handier than an equivalent 12-bore. Yes, that'll mean full-house loads can deliver a bit more recoil, but that's why you push-pull and drive on.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    He took a 20 gauge Rem 1100, a special field IIRC but maybe not, had a 21" barrel I think. Add a longer mag tube, a sorbothane type uber cushy recoil pad and one of those mercury recoil tube thingies in the stock. That gun handled and recoiled way more like an M1 carbine than a riot gun.
    I'm having a moment over here...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by iGlock View Post
    Tam,
    Don't you know?
    Just racking a pump shotgun is all you need to scare away a bad guy (insert sarcasm)
    A slight derail, not to argue the point, because I agree, but: I know some people who were recently involved in a robbery. They were in a back room when the BG's came in and started the party by racking a shotgun. 3 of the 4 said they knew immediately what that sound was, and they're not "gun people". It's entirely possible that the "EVERYBODY ON THE FLOOR!" right after that was what really tipped them off, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    I've been wondering about this myself. My wife isn't a particularly avid shooter (recoil scared more than recoil sensitive) and I was considering a Mossberg .410 for her.
    The only hesitation I have is that I have seen very little information on ballistics for .410 buckshot other than idiotic predictions of how devastating it would be from a Taurus revolver.
    Those are actualy really decent little guns in my limited experience. I had a bud who kept one behind the seat of his truck and killed damn near everything with it. Wasn't always the best gun for the job, but #4s do the job on a lot of small game and varmints, and he has whacked a number of coyotes using slugs (even though I think .410 slugs border on retarded).

This load; http://www.midwayusa.com/product/533...lets-box-of-20

and many similar loads like it, is basically half of what a 12 gauge puts down range. Four .36 calliber holes in a bad guy certainly isn't going to make him feel any better.

I'm having a moment over here...
    Glad I could help.

User Tag List