Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Merging Competition and Training

I'm pretty sure you could shoot limited but the club that puts on matches can make a big difference in the overall experience so if you don't like the atmosphere at the USPSA matches then don't go. You also seem to have some sort of deep seated resentment for "gamer gear" and think that it will turn you into a homosexual so you should probably avoid that at all costs

re: surprise stages, as joshs points out there is a huge problem with friends & teammates sharing information at major matches. The concept is great, but the execution is poor.
    What would be the issue with knowing that there is an array of three targets but not knowing which one is a no-shoot or requires 4 instead of 2 rounds? I was told that Hackathorn would designate a target with a bandanna and it required six rounds. If the Bandanna was moved, it would be harder to cheat the blind stage. Seems like it could fix the issue of "dumping" a round to create an ideal reload point.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    What would be the issue with knowing that there is an array of three targets but not knowing which one is a no-shoot or requires 4 instead of 2 rounds? I was told that Hackathorn would designate a target with a bandanna and it required six rounds. If the Bandanna was moved, it would be harder to cheat the blind stage. Seems like it could fix the issue of "dumping" a round to create an ideal reload point.
    It is almost impossible to require competitors to shoot different targets, yet still present the competitors with exactly the same challenge. For example, if moving the threat or no shoot requires a competitor to take an extra step or pie a little further out of cover to engage, then the CoF doesn't present an equal challenge to each competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could shoot limited but the club that puts on matches can make a big difference in the overall experience so if you don't like the atmosphere at the USPSA matches then don't go. You also seem to have some sort of deep seated resentment for "gamer gear" and think that it will turn you into a homosexual so you should probably avoid that at all costs

You keep that cosmo magazine level psychology out of my gun talk!

and if I ever shoot USPSA, they just let me shoot with the production guys since Im not a member.

Hey, you're the one constantly talking about wieners.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Garner View Post
    HA! Well, I did use a euro-pellet...but I got to meet two 5-gun masta's.... (Vogel & Caleb)

I am shooting CDP this year with my duty weapon along with factory ammo, not the mouse fart rounds that so often accompany some of my friends that shoot CDP...I just need to shoot the classifier. I will not be shooting with my duty gear. I'm reasonably sure I could deal with the holster (Safariland 6360) but the mag pouch with the button flap I can not. I like the idea of shooting with my duty weapon but the thought of losing time on a reload because of those flaps drives me insane.
    I'm using my duty gear for IDPA right now; however, I'm using an open top mag carrier and a 6377 holster. I have a 6377 for each of my service pistols and use the MLS attachment system; so, switching to a different pistol takes about 10 seconds if I so choose. This is the setup that I wear with a class B uniform or any call outs. I also have a receiver plate on a paddle and simply switch the holster to the paddle for office dwelling.

I've also shot a sanctioned match using my class A leather gear and a revolver.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Right off the bat, the first problem I see with it is reload position. If you walk into that room with four rounds left in your gun after engaging, say, the first room's targets you can have one of three outcomes:

1. T1 2 shots, T2 2 shots, reload, T3 6 shots
    2. T1 2 shots, T2 2 shots reload 4 shots, T3 2 shots
    3. T1 2 shots reload 4 shots, T2 2 shots, T3 2 shots

The guy who gets #1 has a huge advantage because he engages three targets while #2 and #3 have, in essence, four separate target engagements (since they have to shoot the 6-shot target both before and after the reload). That's a difference of probably a quarter to half a second right there.

Plus, at least when I've done those kinds of stages with Ken, you still get a walk through and see where the targets are, etc. It's just that one or more will be designated the "hard to kill" target. And my explanation about reload parity notwithstanding, I don't have a lot of heartburn with that. That's not really a surprise stage in my mind. A surprise stage is when you don't get to see the field in advance. So if your teammate shoots through and then can tell you where the targets are and aren't, you save time because you're not searching for stuff, etc.

This isn't theoretical. It was so common a problem in IDPA that they stopped allowing surprise stages.

Quote Originally Posted by jlweems View Post
    I'm using my duty gear for IDPA right now; however, I'm using an open top mag carrier and a 6377 holster. I have a 6377 for each of my service pistols and use the MLS attachment system; so, switching to a different pistol takes about 10 seconds if I so choose. This is the setup that I wear with a class B uniform or any call outs. I also have a receiver plate on a paddle and simply switch the holster to the paddle for office dwelling.

I've also shot a sanctioned match using my class A leather gear and a revolver.
    Our agency doesn't supply anything other than a mag pouch with a flap. I have flattly refused to shoot our current pistol/holster combo in commpetition because I can not be competitive with it...the shot timer don't lie. I went to my admin and asked if I could carry my G-17 and a level III holster and was refused. Anyway, now that we are changing to the M&P (get mine tomorrow) I will shoot it in competition...albeit without the flaps on the mag pouch. The Safariland 6377 is the 6360 (our new holster), minus the rotating hood so I will keep it as close as possible...and frankly, if that too is too slow I will purchase a kydex OWB from D&D holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Garner View Post
    Our agency doesn't supply anything other than a mag pouch with a flap. I have flattly refused to shoot our current pistol/holster combo in commpetition because I can not be competitive with it...the shot timer don't lie. I went to my admin and asked if I could carry my G-17 and a level III holster and was refused. Anyway, now that we are changing to the M&P (get mine tomorrow) I will shoot it in competition...albeit without the flaps on the mag pouch. The Safariland 6377 is the 6360 (our new holster), minus the rotating hood so I will keep it as close as possible...and frankly, if that too is too slow I will purchase a kydex OWB from D&D holster.
    I have a 6360 for a G37 with light attached in my box o' gear. There is an additional thumb guard available for the 6377 that actually makes it the same level of retention as the 6360. I have experimented with it on one holster, and I think it is a little more intuitive than the rolling hood on the 6360.

We get to pick our own duty gear.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Hey, you're the one constantly talking about wieners.

User Tag List