Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Merging Competition and Training

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    For a short while, I worked with a decorated Navy SEAL who was also a nationally recognized paintball competitor. He always used to say, "If you can't tell the difference between a game and a gunfight, you shouldn't do either."

Who, if you can say?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've learned lots of things about shooting and fighting by participating in IPSC, IDPA, and assorted other games, and think anyone can also learn doing that. I've also learned a lot of things by being in some real shootings and fights. The trick, as Todd's SEAL friend said, is being able to recognize the difference and figure out what applies when. Some skills and tactics translate to other arenas, some do not.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    He will only accept hits in the A Zone. He admits that the really fast guys that shoot some C's finish higher, but he is unwilling to sacrifice good hits for speed.
    I do the same.I wont win the match, but IDPA put "most accurate" ranking on the results for a reason.

I also shoot my actual carry guns from my actual carry gear, which I am shocked to find many IDPA guys don't.
    Same here. I only own one pistol, it's my everything gun. I shoot matches with it and my MTAC holster.I've never seen anyone CCW with a G34 in a comp tac belt holster and IDPA Sponsor vest.I really wish IDPA would ban Shoot Me First vests.It would get rid of all these USPSA wieners from dusting off their production gun and gear, and simply cover it up with a fucking sailboat canvas.

Sometimes I use the match for training, sometimes I try to run the wheels off.

Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post

There is something to be said for running the wheels off and seeing what happens.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I do the same.I wont win the match, but IDPA put "most accurate" ranking on the results for a reason.

Same here. I only own one pistol, it's my everything gun. I shoot matches with it and my MTAC holster.I've never seen anyone CCW with a G34 in a comp tac belt holster and IDPA Sponsor vest.I really wish IDPA would ban Shoot Me First vests.It would get rid of all these USPSA wieners from dusting off their production gun and gear, and simply cover it up with a fucking sailboat canvas.

I don't know, I think if you're playing a game then you should try to win.

Really both of them are pretty ridiculous to consider "training" - Our club level IDPA matches are typically 4 stages and less than 100 rounds in about 3 hours. They also consist of stages that, while fun and challenging, are most likely nothing like how a typical CCW altercation goes down. I often hear people talk about how great IDPA is for "training" and then look at the stages and think to myself that if I ever find myself in this situation I've seriously fucked something up in a chain of vital life choices.

As far as hardware and cover garments go - that's great that you can run with your gear. I carry a G34 AIWB which is a no-go for IDPA so I switch to OWB at 3:00 and shoot me first vest. That gear set up probably has a fraction of second advantage over a looser garment and IWB holster which can easily be made up by shooting -0 and transitioning well. If you think that your gun puts you at a disadvantage in a match then you might want to consider changing that up, but there have been plenty of really good shooters not shooting G34s and M&P pros in SSP - see Ernest Langdon.

Are there rules that I would change about IDPA, sure, but IDPA is what it is - don't hate the player, hate the game.

It's training as in: I'm here in my normal street wear, with THE gun and THE holster I carry with. USPSA and IDPA works on some major skills you need to know.So there is some training/skills value .But what is the point of dealing with Mr Tactical RO guy and his friends,and some of the dumb rules of IDPA if your not gonna get anything extra out of it?

One thing I do like with IDPA is the blind stages. all you know is you need this many rounds and .. . . BEEP. You def dont see crap like magazine stows while moving and that up on one leg around cover so I dont have to replant my feet thing, when you cant see the stage 1st.

Oddly, IDPA would disagree with you since they banned blind stages at sanctioned matches. Also, I spent 2 months carrying a G34 IWB, and to be perfectly honest my Woolrich Elite vest is my favorite concealment garment. I prefer to carry OWB, and if I'm going to the store to get milk or whatnot it's simple to throw a vest or windbreaker over my gun and not worry about it. And I'm an IDPA gamer and a USPSA weiner; I like shooting the same gun in two different sports, since I get to up my trigger time and keep my mind flexible. Complaining about "gamers" in IDPA is kind of pointless since as long as they're keeping score, it's a game, and people want to win.

I like the same, but wind breaker/fleece dosent work in the summer. My issue with the game is people not running what they run. Yes it's a game. It's to show things go when your not in "SA" mode at some awesome grey group class. I know why more dudes that carry j frames, but go the Pro series, then ones that carry the big stick full time.like 95%.

Run your everyday gear in the game. If you dont like your standing, and think its the gear and not you, by all means, find a real holster that still works outside the range for everyday and run that. If its you,then work on you .Your still gaming, still trying to win. Why would IDPA mention LEO/Mil rigs and using retention if that wasnt their intent? Why would Todd mention duty rigs and such with the fast drill if everybody is just gonna buy a fast A rig to drill the drill?

and IDPA HQ can get fucked. The guys run a blind stage every match. Learning happens. many normally sound comp shooters lose their shit in a blind stage.

Site Supporter
    Blind stages are not a fair assessment of skill because there is no way to prevent cheating. Unless every competitor is prevented from telling their friends the stage layout, some competitors will have a significant advantage.

And, as long as some competitors value winning, they will maximize their gear, within the confines of the rulebook, for winning.

My issue with the game is people not running what they run. Yes it's a game. It's to show things go when your not in "SA" mode at some awesome grey group class. I know why more dudes that carry j frames, but go the Pro series, then ones that carry the big stick full time.like 95%.
    In the words of my people, "so what?" Honestly, what does it matter to you what I run during the match vs. what I carry. I'm not shooting an IDPA match to practice "real-world defensive skills" or whatever, I'm there to play a game to the best of my physical ability and hopefully win. If IDPA stages were "realistic", they'd consist of seeing who could run away the fastest while dialing 911.

Run your everyday gear in the game. If you dont like your standing, and think its the gear and not you, by all means, find a real holster that still works outside the range for everyday and run that. If its you,then work on you .Your still gaming, still trying to win. Why would IDPA mention LEO/Mil rigs and using retention if that wasnt their intent? Why would Todd mention duty rigs and such with the fast drill if everybody is just gonna buy a fast A rig to drill the drill?
    That's not the point; the point is that some guys believe that shooting the game to win the game is just as valid a goal as you believe practicing your "gunfighter" skills is. Either approach is valid. I don't have a problem with the guy I shoot with who moves tactically, scans after each string, and only reloads in places it makes good sense to reload. Similarly, he's cool with me running around like a wildman, shooting on one foot, etc. Neither approach is bad or wrong, they're just different.

and IDPA HQ can get fucked.
    Nice to see you're keeping it classy, bro.

User Tag List