Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merging Competition and Training

Merging Competition and Training

How do you merge competition and training when one is in conflict with the other?

I shot a match with a WHO stage that I had a malfunction in and cleared using a tap-rack-bang off of my leg and belt. The RO complemented me on the clearance and then asked that nobody else do it, he stated that you could use your strong hand to clear if neccessary. Another clash would be seeing/feeling the pistol at slidelock and not reloading. I understand the 180 on the WHO and if the range is cold not reloading only to unload at the end of a stage but these are both counter to what I train for.

Is the cure for this as simple as going to the range after a match and working on whatever skills you were unable to complete how you would prefer at the match; I.E. WHO malfunction clearances?

I started shooting competitively on a regular basis about six months ago, and I have seen some similar things to what you describe at various matches.

I think such instances stem from people whose only exposure to firearms is through the competitive world and have little to no quality firearms and/or tactics training. Consider that if your only exposure to tactics was IDPA how little you would fair in a gunfight. You might as well be watching an action movie for tactics training.

I draw a distinction between firearms and tactics training. A person can be quite skillful with a firearm but have absolutely no actual tactical knowledge to impart. Even people with tactical knowledge may be teaching tactics that are not relevant to the student's world.

We are diminished
    To quote an old friend, former SEAL, and serious paintball competitor: If you cannot separate competition from fighting, you probably shouldn't do either.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    To quote an old friend, former SEAL, and serious paintball competitor: If you cannot separate competition from fighting, you probably shouldn't do either.
    Another quotable moment here on P-F.com.

I see a lot of "tactical" trainers who recommend you shoot the match like it's training.
    I disagree completely.
    I suggest you shoot the match like it's a competition.
    The reason is, the match will force you into doing things "wrong" and I think having a solid mental distinction between competition and training helps stop you from ingraining bad habits.
    If you go into it with competition on the mind you won't be as likely to blur the line into pseudo-training.
    Also, there aren't enough repetitions of bad habits in a match to overcome the good repetitions you should be putting in at the range.

Jason Falla and I talked about this some over dinner. He shoots competition, but he does set higher standards for himself when he competes. He will only accept hits in the A Zone. He admits that the really fast guys that shoot some C's finish higher, but he is unwilling to sacrifice good hits for speed.

I am going to make sure to set higher standards for myself in the future. I will still look at it as a game, but I want to take full advantage of all the trigger time I can get.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I find it interesting that not all but many of the known gunfight survivors consider competition an important part of their training program. The way I look at it is that I will shoot the stage as a tactically see fit. As long as it's safe and tactically sound if the RSO gives me a procedural so be it. I will work harder to over come the penalty and still try to place well. I won't sacrifice good tactics for gamesmanship.

I will never be any more than a club shooter and thats fine with me. I'm there to PUSH MYSELF not compete with the next guy.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    I will never be any more than a club shooter and thats fine with me. I'm there to PUSH MYSELF not compete with the next guy.
    Well said sir. That is exactly how I look at myself ... but it is a nice bonus when you beat the others.

I am [I]brand new[I] to IDPA, but I see it as an opportunity to expose [to myself] my weaknesses. And, there are quite a few...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Agree 100%. Also, I think some subset of the people who shoot the match like it's tactical training use that an excuse for why they can't win.

User Tag List