Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Competition Project

My Competition Project

Recently I got burned out of the typical shooting competitions I have encountered. For me competitions usually consisted of just standing static and shooting 5 targets is some order with some other sort of reload required. While originally they were fun they are not that stimulating for me.

I have had the past 20 days to think this up and plan it all out. I wanted to create my own match that is much more mentally and physically stimulating, has at least a little bit of applicability to real life (not tactics). Overall I wanted to make something that tested the shooter as a whole, rather than just his trigger finger. So I came up with some guidelines for how I am going to execute this.

In order to get the BHG working during my stage designs I ceated a list of applicable things that I felt would make the shooter work his brain. These included:
    1)KIMS games
    2)Tgt discromination
    3)Problem solving
    4)Task stacking/Task prioritization

Next was to recreate the frictions typically faced on the battle field. These included:
    1)Force use of cover (not in the gay IDPA way) but with more of a pain compliance method
    2)Firing from akward positions
    3)Small targets, with limited exposure
    4)Reactive "drop" targets

Finally a big one is the physical side of the house. To many comps have always lacked this. The best comp I have ever shot in was also the equivalent of a crossfit WOD. To make the shooters physically beat Stages include:
    1)lots and lots of sprinting, moving and getting up and down
    2)casualty drags/carry
    3)carrying heavy awkward shit

Next weekend I will be giving this project its first run. Hopefully its turns out well. I will post up some pics/video and an AAR with lessons learned

If anyone has any suggestions, send it.

PJ

-Malfunction drills

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    -Malfunction drills
    I included that under the task stacking and problem solving.

My b for not specifying

PJ

We are diminished
    Right off the bat you need to decide whether it's a competition (which requires fairness) or a training exercise. If you really intend it to be a competition, you need to figure out a way to deliver the target discrimination and decision-making challenges in a way that doesn't disadvantage the first shooter while still giving all shooters the same problem. This is one area where USPSA shines over IDPA. I can't tell you the number of IDPA matches I've been to where one shooter would have to move 5' and another would have to move 15' because of "random" target arrays; or, where the first shooter had to engage a target array sight unseen but the rest of the guys in his squad all got to watch and learn; or, "surprise" stages which aren't really much of a surprise if your best friend tells you what he saw before it's your turn.

The same holds true for any subjective calls you might need to make. The more subjectivity involved in the process, the less you're achieving in terms of legitimate competition. For example, I shot a match once where the RO told us we had to shoot on the move and be moving at "a realistic pace." He then proceeded to demo -- without shooting -- a pace where very few people in the world could get hits on the targets. We then watched him make on the spot judgments about who was moving fast enough and who wasn't all based purely on his "feeling" when watching.

"Recently I got burned out of the typical shooting competitions I have encountered. For me competitions usually consisted of just standing static and shooting 5 targets is some order with some other sort of reload required. While originally they were fun they are not that stimulating for me."

Sounds like you have been going to the wrong competitions. I dont go to IDPA matches because, to me, they are boring. Around here, I can go to several different USPSA matches every month and they all offer challenging stages. Far from boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpd54 View Post

Sounds like you have been going to the wrong competitions. I dont go to IDPA matches because, to me, they are boring. Around here, I can go to several different USPSA matches every month and they all offer challenging stages. Far from boring.
    All well and good, but pure uspsa does not offer him the realism he seeks.

Hence the making his own.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Is this similar to some of the ironman type competitions with a 2-man shooting team?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

My description of a typical match was a gross dramatization to make a point.

Todd, following your descriptions this would be more "scenario based" training, i guess.....

I would love to shoot in the iron man, or larue match or similar matches. And in the end of the day, I drew alot of my ideas and motivation from clips and pics of those matches.

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by vmi-mo View Post
    My description of a typical match was a gross dramatization to make a point.

Todd, following your descriptions this would be more "scenario based" training, i guess.....

I would love to shoot in the iron man, or larue match or similar matches. And in the end of the day, I drew alot of my ideas and motivation from clips and pics of those matches.

PJ
    As would I, perhaps when time and money permit...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Or perhaps, you could make it more of a test or challenge than either training or competition, more on the line of the National Tactical Invitational. For example, if you can accomplish all your tasks (all targets neutralized, stoppages remediated, physical tasks done, safely of course etc) in a stringent, but fair par time, then you receive a "go". Those who care about a rank wouldn't like it, but you aren't catering to them anyway, you are going after the group who wants to meet a challenge and win.

Much like the "Tough Mudder's" and such, if you make the challenge hard enough, just completing it is more than enough to stroke the ego. If you fall short, but even one person can do it, then you know you have more work to do.

User Tag List