Thread: Info and advice wanted on drill(s)

Info and advice wanted on drill(s)

Hello all first post here.

I had a chance to go shoot with someone this weekend whereas I normally go alone. I was shooting the Dot Torture drill and was shooting low-left to low-center. The person I was with loaded my mag with an unknown number of rounds and watched. He told me he had loaded between 1 and 4 rounds. In actuality he loaded none. I expected at least one. As I broke the trigger it was evident that I anticipated the bang as I CLEARLY pulled the pistol down. He said, "I see the problem", he was not the only one, I saw it too and was shocked! I'm 57 and have been shooting since age 15. I was confident I was not doing what I had just seen myself do. I need some advice on how to correct this problem that everyone else had but me.

I dry-fire practice because I thought it would help with this, apperantly not. I think the reason is when dry-firing I don't anticipate the bang because I know their won't be one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    David

Site Supporter
    I would start with the wall drill:
    http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill

Dave,

Do you think you have always anticipated, or is this new? If it's new, what's changed recently -- weapon, rounds per month, per session, etc?

I have yet to go get his science firsthand, but Bill Rogers from his writings certainly seems to think people can develop a flinch at any time.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Dave,

Do you think you have always anticipated, or is this new? If it's new, what's changed recently -- weapon, rounds per month, per session, etc?

I have yet to go get his science firsthand, but Bill Rogers from his writings certainly seems to think people can develop a flinch at any time.
    Funny that you would ask doctorpogo, I have always shot better than I seem to be shooting now. I actually do think it's new for me. I recenty moved from a G22 (40) to a G19 (9). My rounds per month have gone up.

For previous and ongoing flinch issues, I have a three-pronged approach. First, daily dry-fire with emphasis on perfect trigger presses. You mention already doing dry-fire.

Second, identifying the flinch when it happens live. I have like 40 snap caps, and I'd put them in randomly throughout my mags. Humbling. But with a little practice, if I'm honest, I can pretty much tell if I'm flinching...

Finally, the best correction has been dry reps whenever I catch a live flinch. A few rounds of that has never failed to improve things measurably.

I'm no expert, just spend a lot of time working on my flinch devils....
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Following the advise here, the Wall drill, dry firing, concentrating on smooth trigger press I dry fired until I had hot spots on my hands. I went back to the range today and shot the Dot Torture and while it was not perfect it was much, much better than when I first posted this. I'll continue to do these drills. Thanks for the help guys.

PS: The two hole you see in the top of the backer are not bullet holes.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Following the advise here, the Wall drill, dry firing, concentrating on smooth trigger press I dry fired until I had hot spots on my hands. I went back to the range today and shot the Dot Torture and while it was not perfect it was much, much better than when I first posted this. I'll continue to do these drills. Thanks for the help guys.
    Nice!!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List