Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIWB and Car Accidents

Site Supporter

AIWB and Car Accidents

Any AIWB'rs been involved in a car accident while carrying AIWB?
    Any extra damage to your body that you would attribute to AIWB carry?

I ask because the question came to mind following a near miss a few days ago. Some jackwad decided he didn't want to go to the airport after all and instead needed very urgently to be two lanes to the left.

Any empirical or anecdotal info would be of interest.
    Other than a few people asking this question, I haven't found any examples on the interwebs yet.

Thanks.!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I'm interested in this also, I know some will tell you to put the belt behind the gun, but on me that places it too high on the abdomen and seems even more dangerous. I'm starting to think removing everything for car travel is the only way, although inconvenient.

Good post, in for info.

Never had a wreck while carrying AIWB but I was in a head on (45mph)with a duty type belt on and while I got banged up I didn't have any injuries related to my seatbelt being a little high on my abdomen. I seriously doubt that it would cause a significant increase in damage, especially in a vehicle that is equipped with an airbag.

Site Supporter
    I never considered that not all AIWB is the same regarding seat belt position. For example, my seat belt generally rides across the barrel. If I'm using a low ride holster (summer) the belt might also cross the trigger guard (added AD risk in a crash?). This typically puts the belt across, or just above my hips. I never considered moving the belt higher or behind the gun. Seems that higher would be less safe (organs getting crushed instead of the belt grabbing bones) and moving the belt behind the gun would be all sorts of trouble getting out fast (maybe.. I'll need to check that out more carefully tomorrow).

If you have an example of a crash to share, please include whatever detail you recall regarding where the gun was and where the belt was relative to your gun and your body.

Thanks.!
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 01-03-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: corrected muzzel to barrel
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Got ran off the road on a drive from Fredericksburg VA and Loiusville KY, at about 0130, 23 Dec 12. No airbag deployment, but I landed in the ditch hard enough to need to get the rear axle and drive shaft of my truck replaced.

I carry AIWB immediately right of center (call it 1230), with a Raven ACR in this instance, set to it's lowest configuration without drilling any extra holes in the strut on the leftmost side of the holster. Seat belt is the standard "low across the hips" setup. Settles maybe 2" below my navel. Call it at or on the low side of the trigger guard.

I was a bit tender high on my left hip, but that seems consistent with the fact that I ended up spinning counter-clockwise and ended up on the right (starboard) side of the road, from the left lane. Got thrown against the belt leftward. Bonked my head a little on the left side, but I attribute the cushioning of my Jayne-hat to helping to keep that minor.

Nothing of note along my centerline that differed from what I usually encounter when worn for a long, full, active day. But, since I didn't get flung headlong into anything, that doesn't seem surprising.

I was hit by an SUV and knocked off my bicycle this fall while carrying a G19 w/RMR AIWB; broke my wrist, but no injuries as a result of the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I was hit by an SUV and knocked off my bicycle this fall while carrying a G19 w/RMR AIWB; broke my wrist, but no injuries as a result of the pistol.
    Geez, Gary-between that and your dogwalking-with-the-revolver incident, 2012 was quite the exciting year for you-here's hoping 2013 is different in a good sense.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I was involved in a wreck in August, 2011. A woman in a CRV hit me at a right angle and impacted the back, passenger side wheel. She was accelerating out a parking lot, oblivious to a stop sign. She drove through the impact and spun my car almost 180 degrees. No air bags deployed, but my car sustained about $5K of damage. Neither my wife (pregnant at the time) nor myself were injured in any way. I was carrying a Glock 26 at about 12:30 AIWB in a Fricke ArchAngel.

I suspect body position has a lot to do with minimizing risks. A relative had a rather unfortunate 3 years of recovery from an accident in which he slid forward and busted his gear up enough to create many long term issues. Function checks did not pass for some time. All as a result of a laid back seat. My guess is no one here drives leaning back but with a bunch of metal down there I would be careful and prevent my gun from being struck by the steering wheel.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List