Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First fighting class

First fighting class

All,

I want to get prepared for unarmed fighting. I'm interested in what you all would recommend as a starting point for a civilian with no mil/le background. I have no specific purpose at the moment, just general preparedness. I'm in above average physical condition. Thanks for your responses.

Bring a good attitude and a willingness to learn. That's it.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Bring a good attitude and a willingness to learn. That's it.
    And a mouth guard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    And a mouth guard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    And a jock...if ya need one.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    And a jock...if ya need one.
    If you don't need a mouthguard and a cup it's not real self defense (kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by Nik the Greek View Post
    If you don't need a mouthguard and a cup it's not real self defense (kidding).
    While you don't have to go hard every time, if you don't get to the point you don't need these from time to time you aren't training against sufficient resistance.

Or you've been kicked in the groin with a cup on before and found that you'd rather take your chances blocking, evading or posturing.

As for a mouth piece, whether you use one or not, always keep the tongue inside the vehicle at all times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    As for a mouth piece, whether you use one or not, always keep the tongue inside the vehicle at all times
    That's why I started using a mouthguard pretty much everytime I step on the mat.
    I used to have the very bad habit of "Michael Jordan'ing" when I punched or kicked.
    The mouthguard made me keep track of my tongue and now I no longer have that issue even when I go without.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

If you really want unarmed "fighting" I tend to recommend two areas. First, a real Krav Maga school. Second, Hoch Hochheim's CQC or Cestari's Gutterfighting, both based in large part on the combatives training the military developed. If you have the time to really learn it, Akido is hard ot beat. My $.02.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List