Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Slide Lock Reload: Which thumb for slide release?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    deja vue all over again...
    We've discussed strong hand vs. weak hand thumbs.
    Nobody uses the overhand rack?
    I wonder why?

Could it be that it's such a superior technique, using gross motor skills instead of fi-...

-Sees the angry mob forming.-

Oh, nevermind.

Well, of course everyone should be using the overhand rack. Using your thumbs is a fine motor skill and everyone knows your hands will turn to virtual clubs under stress <g>

I was wondering about that too...
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

Well, I didn't specify the overhand rack, but way back at Post #20...........
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Always a bit of a balancing act. Gain a little speed, lose a little reliability, give up a little security, get a little control, etc. I still use and teach the slide-rack for most of my people as it is universal and multiple-use. I've never been convinced on the importance of shaving small fractions of time off the reload for most shooters there that aren't going to be as dedicated as we would like them to be in their training. On the other hand, as was mentioned, those small fractions can add up over the course of a match and make the difference between one level of classification and another.
    Actually David, I thought your earlier post really summed up the merits of the over hand rack method well. This was the technique I was first trained on, it is very reliable, works across the various firearms designs and is ambidextrous. If I was instructing a large group of people who were new to firearms, I'd probably teach this method.

As I moved into more advanced training and the occasional competition, I transitioned to using the slide release as it was a faster technique and I was a more competent shooter.

I also think that Glock's training division is responsible to some extent for the spread of the over hand rack, as they teach this method. Thus, many of the organizations that adopt the Glock also adopt this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by zRxz View Post
    I wonder why?

Could it be that it's such a superior technique, using gross motor skills instead of fi-...

-Sees the angry mob forming.-

Oh, nevermind.
    People should feel free to use any slide release technique they want, for whatever reason. None of it matters much to me, just like 9 vs. 45.

However, none of them use gross motor skills, no matter what your favorite instructor told you. And by the way, releasing your mag is also a fine motor skill, so if you can't do that, then the rest of the reload doesn't really matter much. Pulling the trigger, to empty the gun, to require a reload, is also a fine motor skill. Drawing the gun in the first place...I'm sure you get the point by now:-)

100% agree
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

exactly as SLG posted. isnt pressing the trigger a fine motor skill, better yet a "finer" motor skill? bottom line is repetition builds proficiencey. no matter what method you choose practice it often

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    today running reload drills I was hitting 1.28s with both WH release and auto forward.
    Sweet, thanks for the reality check. When I can do 2s reloads with any technique at all, I'll start to worry about the pros and cons of any of them.

I'm working on it.

In my minimal and possibly irrelevant experience, I've found that using my weak hand thumb requires noticeably more concentration due to the inherent coordination issues. If I'm not left-handed but decide to use my left thumb to locate and then apply pressure to a small button whilst in a hurry, the results tend to take longer than if I use another method.

User Tag List