Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Y'alls opinion on 'aim-point' shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Panoply View Post
    H Basically, on a auto you lay the index finger alongside the gun and use the middle finger to pull the trigger. It's based on the universal human ability to point right at any object. It seems to make sense intellectually, if you know what i mean, but how does it work in practice?
    If you examine it, it doesn't make sense intellectually, or in practice.

1. If point shooting is appropriate, the guns slide or barrel is what is used to point. You do not need to have your trigger finger along the gun to point it. The finger curled around the trigger does a fine enough job of pointing it because enough of the finger is pointed forward. The rest of the gun, be it the slide or the barrel (depending on the type of gun) becomes one large pointing finger as controlled by the hand.

2. When pullng the trigger with the middle finger, you do not have nearly as solid a grip or control of the gun since you only have two fingers on the grip. This is important in rapid firing and handling guns that have *any* type of recoil.

3. Using the middle finger is not ergonomic or natural while using the trigger finger is.

4. Keeping your pointing finger along the frame and pulling the trigger with your middle finger means that you must draw the gun with only your last two fingers. This is an extremely weak and fumble prone way to draw.

5. Holding the gun with two fingers curled around the grip is an extremely weak way to hold the trigger and to control recoil for follow-up shots.

6. If you need to hold someone at gunpoint, holding a gun with two fingers around the grip is a very weak way to do it.

7. Holding the gun with two fingers of the dominant hand on the grip does not integrate with a two handed hold.

How often do you need to zero your index finger for this to work?
    How do you know that you are actually pointing at what you think you are pointing at, and to what degree of precision?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If this is such an awesome way to shoot a pistol, then why are pistols not designed to be shot this way?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If this is such an awesome way to shoot a pistol, then why are pistols not designed to be shot this way?
    Don't start........the Netard who is always pushing this also bothers not only my calm, but many of the manufacturers to design guns around this. The first "chopped Glock" I ever did was chopping a G23 to take G27 mags literally the day the 27 was released. It was done for my buddy who had his index finger blown off, and it worked so good we did all sorts of chops after that........but the rest of us still used our index fingers to press the trigger.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I am not sold on it.

At very close ranges, less than five feet, then I could see point shooting as an option but the part about changing the grip is not. Everyone who is an expert will tell you that your grip is the most important part of shooting a handgun.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    How do you know that you are actually pointing at what you think you are pointing at, and to what degree of precision?
    Thank you for bringing that up. That is my problem every time the argument is used that 'you can naturally point your finger at anything.' I think reality is more like 'you can naturally point your finger toward anything you can see and it's pretty easy to con yourself about how precisely you have pointed your finger.'

we need a finger SIRT
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Unless you mean mounting an Aimpoint RDS on your weapon of choice and getting good with it, I'll pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Cookie Monster, same reaction. Even more awkward when firing. It would require retraining yourself from all the years you've spent shooting using sights.

What is ' target focus style point shooting,' how does it differ from aim point shooting and is IT worth the effort to practice?

Target focus shooting, or threat focused shooting, whatever you want to call it is just looking at the target instead of at your sights. You don't need to practice doing it, because if you get good at shooting stuff using your sights, you'll automatically get good at target focused shooting.

User Tag List