Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Y'alls opinion on 'aim-point' shooting?

Question Y'alls opinion on 'aim-point' shooting?

Hello All,

I was recently introduced to the system of shooting called 'aim point.' This was the term the man I met at the range used, you may know it by another. Basically, on a auto you lay the index finger alongside the gun and use the middle finger to pull the trigger. It's based on the universal human ability to point right at any object. It seems to make sense intellectually, if you know what i mean, but how does it work in practice? It would take some getting used to. I tried it and was less than satisfied - though I suppose if I ran a few hundred rounds through I'd get a better idea of it's value.
    What do y'all know about it?

Have a Happy and Safe New Year!
    Jeremy

I would type a longer and more reasoned response if I had more coffee in me and had more time this morning, but the short version is that this technique is clown shoes.

I can get the same pointing feedback from a good thumbs forward grip, and not give up a solid grip on the gun, my ability to control recoil at speed, etc.

Sights exist on handguns for very good reasons.

I'm not an expert, but every expert I respect who has given an opinion on it agrees with tpd223.

Let's put it this way - if you're using a technique that isn't being used by any of the top competition shooters, you'd better have a good reason for it, backed up with some data.

(I know this applies to the press out - but I think that the demonstrated improvement in hitting a small target at speed compared to an index draw is enough to at least make an argument for it).

That particular technique has been floundering around for years (decades). In short, no. Modern technique has far surpassed that idea which was (IMHO) generated by shooters using handguns with miniscule hard to see sights.

SWAT had a great article on the history of point shooting, and the "Why" behind Applegate and Fairbain's fondness for the technique. Lack of sights that were usable on early 1911's/1903's (specifically) but also most other guns of the day, as well as lack of experience, training ammunition, or time.

If one is only going to shoot 50 rounds after buying a pistol, then let it sit until they need it, the point and shoot method is better than no method. But will not replace proper instruction, and practice of proven techniques. If it was as simple as point and shoot, everyone would be doing it. As it is, none of the top shooters use, advocate, or endorse such a concept except in grave and extreme circumstances, such as extreme close contact shooting.

Site Supporter
    I dry practiced it this morning. Awkward and it changes a lot of things on initial grip and my middle finger is trained to do other things.

I didn't notice any benefits over other "target focus/point shooting" techniques. I didn't see the extension of the trigger finger make things line up any better. Awkward grip issues and relearning from thousands of draws make me give it a big thumbs down. Different techniques run in continuum and this "aim-point" described by the OP seems outside being used in a continuum. It changes the grip too much from what I would use for sighted fire.

My observations from 1/2 hour this morning.

Cheers,
    Cookie Monster

While this may be a nice to know emergency technique (I met a cop who's gunfight started with his trigger finger getting shot off as he started to draw his duty pistol) for certain rare circumstances, it has no other valid use IMHO.

Even for point shooting this sucks. You give up a lot of grip, for both weapon retention and recoil control, using only your ring and pinky finger to hold onto the pistol.

"Aim Point" shooting is different from "target focus/point shooting". True target focus/point shooting is used a lot and has a good record of success when one recognizes its limitations. "Aim Point", on the other hand, really never has caught on with anyone. It causes you to have a weakened grip on the firearm on top of the inherent limitations of traditional target focus shooting. I like target focus style point shooting as a tool shooters should have, but going beyond that to the "Aim Point" school doesn't seem to add much.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I know multiple guys who are missing index fingers or the end of index fingers who HAVE to shoot with their middle finger. Not one single one of them shoots better than when they had an index finger or find it to be an advantage. Not a single top tier competitive shooter, military or L/E unit uses this system, and not a single unit that gets into a lot of gunfights use it.........so, other than the one retard on the internet who pushes it.........total fail.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Point shooting, regardless of who calls it what, or which finger is being used.......... still sucks.

User Tag List